Colbert County, Alabama Genealogy
Colbert County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Colbert Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Colbert County was created on Feb. 6, 1867, from part of Franklin County. It was abolished by the Constitutional Convention on Nov. 29, 1867, and re-established by the legislature on Dec. 9, 1869. This particular county was named in honor of George and Levi Colbert, noted Chickasaw chiefs, who resided in the county.
Currently the Colbert County Seat is located in Tuscumbia and in addition the county government website is http://www.colbertcounty.org/
Locations adjacent Colbert County happen to be Lauderdale County (north), Lawrence County (southeast), Franklin County (south), Tishomingo County, Mississippi (west).
Cities and towns found in Colbert County consist of Muscle Shoals, Sheffield, Tuscumbia, Cherokee, Leighton, Littleville.
Colbert County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Colbert Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Colbert Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Colbert Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Colbert County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Colbert County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Natchez Trace Genealogical Society, Box 420, Florence, AL 35360, Publication: Natchez Trace Traveler
- Florence/Lauderdale Public Library, Phone 256-764-6564
- Tennessee Valley Historical Society, PO Box 149, Sheffield, AL 35660, Publication: Journal of Muscle Shoals History
- Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society, PO Box 1568, Huntsville, Alabama 35807, Publication: Valley Leaves
- ALCOLBER. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Colbert County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- ALColbert-Rooters. A mailing list for anyone with a historic or genealogical interest in Colbert County, Alabama. Surname queries are welcome. To subscribe send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: subscribe
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Colbert County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Colbert County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Colbert County
- Colbert County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Colbert County
Colbert County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Colbert County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Colbert County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Colbert County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Colbert County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 201 N. Main Street, Tuscumbia, AL 35674
- Phone: 256-386-8500
- Court Records: ?
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Colbert County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: 201 N. Main Street, Tuscumbia, AL 35674
- Phone: 256-386-8500
- Marriage Records: 1867 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1867
- Land Records: 1867
- Colbert County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Colbert County Health Department has Birth Records from 1881, Death records from 1881 1000 S. Jackson Highway, Sheffield, AL 35660, Main phone number 256-383-1231. You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
- Colbert County Courthouse brief timeline:
- 1867 - Colbert County formed from part of Franklin County
- 1881 - Colbert County Courthouse construction begun
- 1882 - May: Colbert County Courthouse construction completed
- 1908 - Colbert County Courthouse razed except for brick walls
- 1909 - Colbert County Courthouse rebuilt and tower clock added
- 1948 - North wing county courthouse added
- 1974 - January: new Colbert County Courthouse wing construction begun
- 1975 - June: $2 million Colbert County Courthouse wing construction completed
Colbert County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Colbert County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Colbert County genealogy or family history related sites.
Colbert Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Colbert Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Colbert Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Colbert Co. AL Census Records
Colbert Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Colbert Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Colbert Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Colbert Co. AL General and History Websites
Colbert Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Colbert Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Colbert Co. AL Military Records
Colbert Co. AL Schools & Directories