Waukesha County, Wisconsin
Genealogy, History & Facts
Waukesha County, Wisconsin Facts
When was Waukesha County, WI Created?
Waukesha County was created on January 31, 1846 from Milwaukee County. The county was named after Waugooshance, a Pottawatomi word meaning little foxes .
What is the County Seat of Waukesha County, WI?
The County Seat is located in Waukesha and the county government website is http://www.waukeshacounty.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Waukesha County, WI?
Bordering Counties are Washington County, Ozaukee County, Milwaukee County, Racine County, Walworth County, Jefferson County, Dodge County.
Waukesha County, WI Vital Records
Where can find Waukesha County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Waukesha County vital records can be found at the Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process..
You can search online for Waukesha County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Wisconsin Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Wisconsin Marriage Project
- Earliest Registration Dates by County
- Pre-1907 Birth Index
- Wisconsin Births, 1820-1907
- Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926
- Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908
- Wisconsin, Divorce Index, 1965-1984
- Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997
- Wisconsin Marriage Index 1852-1907
- Wisconsin Marriage Index (selected entries pre-1907)
- Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997
- Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930
- Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907
- Pre-1892 Wisconsin Brides and/or Grooms from Maine State Archives Cards
- Wisconsin Death Index, 1959-1997
- Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968
- Pre-1907 Death Index
- Wisconsin Deaths, 1820-1907
- Wisconsin Divorce Index, 1965-1984
- 1959-1979 Death Index
- 1979-1984 Death Index
Waukesha County, WI Census Records
What Waukesha County, WI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Waukesha County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Waukesha Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Waukesha Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Waukesha Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
There are Wisconsin State censuses from 1895 and 1905. Also the Wisconsin Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index for 1820-1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Wisconsin Census Records Research Guide
Waukesha County, WI Courthouse and Government Records
Waukesha County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Waukesha County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Waukesha County.The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
See Also Wisconsin Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Waukesha County, WI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Waukesha County, WI?
A list of Waukesha County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Wisconsin Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, Division of Archives and Special Collections, Golda Meir Library, Room W250, PO Box 604, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI 53201-0604; Phone: (414) 229-5402
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1541, Waukesha, WI 53187-1541
- Waukesha County Historical Society & Museum, 101 W Main St, Waukesha, WI 53186; Phone: 262-521-2859
- Big Bend-Vernon Historical Society, PO Box 68, Big Bend, WI 53103-0068; Phone: 262-662-3082
- Elmbrook Historical Society, PO Box 292, Brookfield, WI 53008-0292; Phone: 262-783-6494
- Genesee Historical Society, PO Box 52, Genesee Depot, WI 53127-0052; Phone: 262-549-3239
- Hartland Historical Society, PO Box 54, Hartland, WI 53029; Phone: 262-367-2979
- Hawks Inn Historical Society, 426 Wells St, Delafield 53018-1419
- Menomonee Falls Historical Society, PO Box 91, Menomonee Falls, WI 53052-0091; Phone: 262-255-1776
- Muskego Historical Society, PO Box 137, Muskego, WI 53150; Phone: 262-895-7255
- New Berlin Historical Society, 5575 S Maberry Ln, New Berlin, WI 53146; Phone: 262-679-1783
- Oconomowoc Historical Society, 103 W Jefferson St, Oconomowoc, WI 53066-0969; Phone: 262-567-5272
- Pewaukee Area Historical Society, PO Box 104, Pewaukee, WI 53072; Phone: 262-691-0233
- Waukesha Engine Historical Society, 1000 W St Paul Ave, Waukesha, WI 53188; Phone: 262-549-2606
- Wisconsin Postal History Society, N95 W32259 County Line Rd, Hartland, WI 53029; Phone: 262-966-7096
- Wisconsin Area Research Center Network
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706-1488
- Wisconsin State Genealogical Society, PO Box 5106, Madison, WI 53705
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
Where can I connect with other Waukesha County, WI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Waukesha County, WI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Waukesha County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Waukesha Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Wisconsin Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Wisconsin historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992) (genealogybank.com)
- Waukesha Daily Freeman (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Waukesha Freeman (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Waukesha Plaindealer (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily Freeman (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Waukesha Democrat (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- American Freeman (Prairieville, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Evening Journal (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Waukesha Journal (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Republican Freeman (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Waukesha County Democrat (Waukesha, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Oconomowoc Democrat (Oconomowoc, Wisconsin) (search.ancestry.com)
- Waukesha County, Wisconsin Books (amazon.com)
- Waukesha County Wisconsin Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
- Search Wisconsin Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Waukesha Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Waukesha Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Waukesha Co. WI General and History Websites
Waukesha Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Waukesha Co. WI Military Records
Waukesha Co. WI Schools & Directories