Marathon County, Wisconsin
Genealogy, History & Facts
Marathon County, Wisconsin Facts
When was Marathon County, WI Created?
Marathon County was created on February 9, 1850 from Portage County.
Marathon County, WI Vital Records
Where can find Marathon County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Marathon County vital records can be found at the Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process..
You can search online for Marathon County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Wisconsin Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Wisconsin Marriage Project
- Earliest Registration Dates by County
- Pre-1907 Birth Index
- Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926
- Wisconsin, Divorce Index, 1965-1984
- Wisconsin Marriage Index 1852-1907
- Wisconsin Marriage Index (selected entries pre-1907)
- Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997
- Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930
- Pre-1892 Wisconsin Brides and/or Grooms from Maine State Archives Cards
- Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968
- Pre-1907 Death Index
- 1959-1979 Death Index
- 1979-1984 Death Index
Marathon County, WI Census Records
What Marathon County, WI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Marathon County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Marathon Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marathon Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marathon Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
There are Wisconsin State censuses from 1895 and 1905. Also the Wisconsin Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index for 1820-1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Wisconsin Census Records Research Guide
Marathon County, WI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Marathon County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Marathon County.The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Marathon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 500 Forest Street, Wausau, WI 54403-5568; Phone: 715.261.1000
- Marathon County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 715-261-1470
- Birth Records: 1870
- Marriage Records: 1861
- Death Records: 1868
- Land Records: 1841
- Marathon County Register in Probate Office
- Phone: 715-261-1261
- Probate Records: 1851
- Marathon County Clerk of Court Office
- Phone: (715) 261-1300
- Court Records: 1849
- Public Records of the Consolidated Court Automation Programs provides access to certain public records of the circuit courts of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin, Probate Estate Files, 1848-1935
- U.S., Indexed Early Land Ownership and Township Plats, 1785-1898
- BLM Land Records
Marathon County, WI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Marathon County, WI?
A list of Marathon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Wisconsin Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Marathon County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1512, Wausau, WI 54402-1512
- Marathon County Historical Society, 504 McIndoe St, Wausau, WI 54403; Phone: 715-848-6143
- Stratford Area Historical Society, PO Box 205, Stratford, WI 54484; Phone: 715-687-5881
- Area Research Center – University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point, James H. Albertson Library, Stevens Point, WI 54481; Phone: 715/346-2586
- Wisconsin Area Research Center Network
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706-1488
- Wisconsin State Genealogical Society, PO Box 5106, Madison, WI 53705
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
Where can I connect with other Marathon County, WI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marathon County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marathon County
- Marathon County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Marathon County, WI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Marathon County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.