Skamania County, Washington
Skamania County was founded on March 9, 1854 from Clark County. The county was abolished by the Legislature on January 14, 1865. The county was divided into Clark County and Klickitat County. One year later, January 31, 1867, the abolition was revoked and Skamania County was re-established.
Skamania County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Skamania County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Skamania County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Skamania Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Skamania Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Skamania Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You’ll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Skamania County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Skamania County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Southwest Regional Branch. 1129 Washington Street SE, PO Box 40238, Olympia, WA 98504. Phone 360) 753-1684.
- Skamania County Historical Society, PO Box 396, Stevenson, WA 98648. Operates the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center. Their special collections include some vital, census and tax records, a photography collection, and an oral history collection.
- Fort Vancouver Regional Library, 1007 E Mill Plain Blvd, Vancouver (Clark County), WA 98663-3599.
- Skamania County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Skamania County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Skamania County (usgwarchives.net)
Skamania County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Skamania County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Skamania County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Skamania County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 240 NW Vancouver St, PO Box 790, Stevenson WA 98648-0790
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Skamania County Auditor
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1892
- Land Records: 1854
- Skamania County Clerk
- Court Records: 1854
- Probate Records: 1854
Skamania County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Skamania County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Skamania County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.