Clark County, Washington
Clark County was founded on August 20, 1845 by the provisional government of Oregon Territory and was called Vancouver District, it was renamed Clarke County on September 3, 1849, (the county name was spelled CLARKE from 1849
The Clark County Seat is situated in Vancouver (Originally Columbia City from 1851-1855) and the county government website is http://www.clark.wa.gov/
Locations bordering Clark County are Cowlitz County, Skamania County, Multnomah County, Oregon, Columbia County, Oregon.
Clark County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Clark County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Clark County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clark Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Clark Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Clark Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Clark County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Clark County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Washington (raogk.org)
- Washington Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clark County Archives - Record Division,1300 Franklin Street, Suite 650, Vancouver, WA 98660; Main phone: (360) 397-2323; The Records Division has a wealth of historical documents relating to the Board of Clark County County Commissioners beginning November 1859.
- Clark County Genealogical Society, PO Box 5249, Vancouver, WA 98668-5249. Maintains a library at 717 Grand Blvd., Vancouver, WA 98661. Library Collection includes Index to Washington Death and all of the federal and territorial censuses of Washington. There is a surname and locality file. The vertical file represents most areas of the United States, with particular emphasis of Clark County. In addition to the 2,800-book collection there are many oral history transcripts and biographies
- Clark County Historical Society and Museum, 1511 Main St, PO Box 1834, Vancouver, WA 98663. Phone 360-695-4681. Housed in a retired Carnegie Library, museum also has a genealogical and research library.
- Ft Vancouver Historical Society of Clark County, PO Box 1834, 1511 Main St, Vancouver, WA 98668-1834; Phone 360-695-4681.
- Ft. Vancouver National Historic Site, 612 E Reserve St, Vancouver, WA 98661-3811. Phone 360-696-7655. Fax 360-696-7657. Fur trading headquarters for the British Hudson's Bay Company from 1825 to 1849; site includes a museum, restored and reconstructed buildings, and living history demonstrations. Small research library emphasizes Hudson's Bay Company history and the fur trade industry; some volumes may have genealogical relevance.
- Camas-Washougal Historical Society Museum, Camas Public Library (basement), 4th & Franklin, PO
Box 204, Washougal, WA 98671. Phone 360-835-2725. Collection emphasizes local history, including Native American meeting grounds, early settlement, trade, farming and commerce of the area.
Collecting and developing a biography and obituary file and photography collection.
- Cedar Creek Grist Mill, NE Cedar Creek Rd, 10 miles east of Woodland. Phone 360-225-9552. Built in 1876, this is the last remaining 19th century gristmill operating in Washington. Wheat grinding demonstrations given.
- Center for Columbia River History, 802C Officers' Row, Vancouver, WA 98661. Phone 360-737- 2044. Fax 360-693-2760.
- Covington House, 4208 Main St, Vancouver, WA 98660. Phone 360-694-2898. One of Washington's oldest log cabins, built in 1848 and used as an early schoolhouse.
- Officer's Row (George C. Marshall & Grant Houses), Central Park, Officer's Row, Vancouver, WA 98660. Phone 360-693-3103. Historic quarters for commanding officers at Camp Vancouver, 1850- 1906.
- Parker's Landing, off State Road 14, Camas, WA. Site of the first American settlement in Clark County in 1844. A significant archaeological site covering 3,000 years of history of the Chinook people.
- Pearson Air Museum, 1105 E Fifth St, Vancouver, WA 98660. Phone 360-694-7026. Fax 360-694-0824. Vintage airplanes and history of historic Airpark, one of the oldest operating airfields in the USA; includes exhibits on Lindbergh's flight in 1927 and the 1937 Soviet landing in Vancouver during
the world's first transpolar flight.
- Pomeroy Living History Farm, 20902 NE Lucia Falls Rd, Yacolt, WA 98675. Phone 360-686-3537. Fax 360-686-8111. Membership available. This farm depicts 1920's farm life as it existed in southwest Washington. Collections and artifacts emphasize agricultural and domestic life history. Volunteers and displays emphasize a "handson" experience. The Herb Festival and The Pumpkin Festival are annual special events.
- U.S. Grant Museum, 1106 Evergreen Blvd, Vancouver, WA 98660. Phone 360-694-5252.
- Washington State Archives, Southwest Regional Branch. 1129 Washington Street SE, PO Box 40238, Olympia, WA 98504. Phone 360) 753-1684.
- Clark County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Clark County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Clark County (usgwarchives.net)
Clark County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Clark County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Clark County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
- Clark County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1200 Franklin St., PO Box 5000, Vancouver 98666-5000
- Courthouse hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Clark County Auditor
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1850
- Clark County Clerk
- Court Records: 1890
- Probate Records: 1890
- Clark County Treasurer .
Clark County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clark County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Clark County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Clark Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clark Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clark Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Washington Court Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Clark Co. WA Census Records
Clark Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Clark Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clark Co. WA General and History Websites
Clark Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Clark Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clark Co. WA Military Records
Clark Co. WA Schools & Directories