Wayne County, Tennessee
Wayne County, Tennessee Facts
When was Wayne County, TN Created?
Wayne County was founded on November 24, 1817 from Hickman and Humphreys (An earlier, but separate, “Wayne County” is included in today’s Carter County and part of Johnson County. It was established in 1785 under the state of Franklin but was abolished in 1788).
What is the County Seat of Wayne County, TN?
What counties are adjacent to Wayne County, TN?
Wayne County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Wayne County Courthouse?
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Wayne County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
- Wayne County Clerk
- Address: P.O. Box 367, 200 Court Square, Waynesboro, TN 38485
- Phone: (931) 722-5544
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Probate Records: 1848
- Wayne County Register of Deeds
- Address: P.O. Box 465, Waynesboro, TN 38485
- Phone: (931) 722-5518
- Land & Deed Records: 1821
- Wayne County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P.O. Box 869, Waynesboro, TN 38485-0869
- Phone: 931-722-5519
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1861
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1851
- County Court Minutes: 1848
Where can find Wayne County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wayne County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Wayne County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Wayne County, TN census records are available?
Wayne Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wayne County, TN?
- Wayne County Archives, Room 305 Courthouse, Waynesboro , TN 38485; Phone: (931) 722-5016
- Wayne County Historical Society, P.O. Box 866, Waynesboro 38485-0866
- Wayne County Public Library, Highway 64 East, PO Box 630, Waynesboro, TN 38485 931-722-5537
Wayne County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Wayne County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Tennessee Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wayne County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wayne County
- Wayne County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Genealogical “Fact Sheets” About Wayne County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Wayne County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Wayne County.
What other genealogical resources are available in Wayne County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Wayne County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Wayne County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.