Henry County, Tennessee
Henry County, Tennessee Facts
When was Henry County, TN Created?
Henry County was founded on November 7, 1821 from Chickasaw Indian lands.
What is the County Seat of Henry County, TN?
What counties are adjacent to Henry County, TN?
Henry County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Henry County Courthouse?
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Henry county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Rather than go to the courthouse, you might want to do all your research work at the library. All available court records have been microfilmed and are available at the Rhea Public Library. In addition to court records, you will also find funeral home records, church records, all the Henry County census, Microfilmed Henry County newspaper, and WPA records. There is also a large collection of genealogy books in the special genealogy room.
- Henry County Clerk
- Address: P.O. Box 24, Paris, TN 38242
- Phone: 731-642-2412
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1822
- Henry County Register of Deeds
- Address: P.O. Box 44, Paris, TN 38242
- Phone: (731) 642-4081
- Land & Deed Records: 1822
- Henry County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 101 West Washington Street, 2nd Fl., Paris, TN 38242
- Phone: 731-642-0461
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1846
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1834
- County Court Minutes: 1824
Where can find Henry County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Henry County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Henry County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Henry County, TN census records are available?
Henry Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Henry County, TN?
- Henry County Archive and Genealogy Library, 55 Jones Bend Ext. Rd., Paris , TN 38242; Phone: (731) 642-8655, Ext. 109; The Archive is part of the county, and preserves all the “old records” of the county Government for Henry County, Tennessee. Volunteers at the Archive also man the Genealogy Room at the Library as well. Genealogical Inquiries should be directed to the Archive.
- City of Paris Municipal Archives, P.O. Box 970, Paris , TN 38242; Phone: (731) 641-1455
- Henry County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1411, Paris, TN 38242
- Paris-Henry County Heritage Center, 614 N. Poplar Street, PO Box 822, Paris, TN 38242 731-642-1030
Henry County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Henry County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Tennessee Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henry County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henry County
- Henry County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Genealogical “Fact Sheets” About Henry County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Henry County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Henry County.
What other genealogical resources are available in Henry County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Henry County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Henry County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.