South Carolina History & Facts
Beaufort County, South Carolina Facts
When was Beaufort County, SC Created?
Beaufort County was established on 1769 from 1769 Beaufort District containing of Prince William Parish, St. Luke Parish, St. Helena Parish, and St. Peter Parish.
Beaufort County, SC Vital Records
Where can find Beaufort County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Beaufort County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
Beaufort County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk’s office. There were no South Carolina birth or Death “certificates” before January 01, 1915
You can search online for Beaufort County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Beaufort County, SC Census Records
What Beaufort County, SC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Beaufort Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Beaufort Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Beaufort Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Beaufort Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Beaufort County, SC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Beaufort County Courthouse?
- Beaufort County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 102 Ribaut Road, Beaufort, SC 29901
- Beaufort County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (843) 255-2555
- Land Records: 1863
- Beaufort County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (843) 255-5660
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1865
- Beaufort County Clerk of Court
- Phone: (843)255-5050
- Court Records: 1865
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Beaufort County: Hampton County in 1878.
Beaufort County, SC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Beaufort County, SC?
A list of Beaufort County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Beaufort County Genealogical Society; P.O. Box 5492, Hilton Head SC 29928
- Beaufort County Historical Society, PO Box 55, Beaufort, SC 29901
- Bluffton Historical Preservation Society Inc., P.O. Box 742, Bluffton, SC 29910
- Daufuskie Island Historical Foundation, PO Box 27, Daufuskie Island, SC 29915
- Heritage Library Foundation, Inc, 32 Office Park Road, Ste. 300 , Hilton Head Island, SC 29928-4640; (843) 686-6560
- Historic Beaufort Foundation, PO Box 11, Beaufort, SC 29901
- USGenWeb Archives for Beaufort County (usgwarchives.net)
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 8301 Parklane Road; Columbia, SC 29223-4905; Tel: (803) 896-6100
- South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, PO Box 11469; Columbia, South Carolina 29211; Voice: (803) 734-8666
- South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 16355, Greenville, SC 29606
- South Carolina Historical Society, 100 Meeting Street, Charleston 29401
- South Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Beaufort County, SC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Beaufort County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Beaufort County
- Beaufort County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Beaufort County, SC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Beaufort County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.