North Carolina History & Facts
Person County, North Carolina History
When was Person County, NC Created?
Person County was created on 1791 from Caswell County.
Person County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Person County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Person County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Person County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
Person County, NC Census Records
What Person County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Person Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Person Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Person Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Person County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Person County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Person County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Person County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Person County Register of Deeds
- Address: PO Box 209, 21 Abbitt Street , Roxboro, NC 27573
- Phone: (336) 597-1733
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1791
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1774
- Person County Clerk of Court
- Address: 105 S Main St, Roxboro, NC 27573
- Phone: (336) 503-5200
- Probate Records: 1792
- Court Records: 1775
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Person County, North Carolina Deed Books 1792-1825 (search.ancestry.com)
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Person County Records
- Person Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Person Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Person Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Person County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Person County, NC?
A list of Person County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Person County Historical Society, PO Box 887, Roxboro, NC 27573; 336-597-3134
- Tar River Connections Genealogical Society, 101 Wildwood Avenue, Rocky Mount 27803
- Virginia-North Carolina Piedmont Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2272, Danville 24541-0272 – Serving the counties of Franklin, Henry, Pittsylvania and Halifax in Virginia and Rockingham, Caswell and Person in North Carolina
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Person County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Person County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Person County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.