OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
North Carolina History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Hertford County, North Carolina History
When was Hertford County, NC Created?
Hertford County was created on December 12, 1759 from Chowan County, Bertie County and Northampton County.
What is the County Seat of Hertford County, NC?
The County Seat is located in Winton also, the county government website is www.hertfordcountync.gov/.
What counties are adjacent to Hertford County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Southampton County, Virginia, Gates County, Chowan County, Bertie County, Northampton County.
Hertford County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Hertford County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hertford County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Hertford County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Hertford County clerk of court.
You can search online for Hertford County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
- Hertford Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records
- Hertford County, North Carolina Marriage Project
- Hertford Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records
- Social Security Death Index
- North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
- North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
- North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975
- North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
Hertford County, NC Census Records
What Hertford County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hertford Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hertford Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hertford Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Hertford County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Hertford County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Hertford County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Hertford County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Hertford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 701 King St, Winton, NC 27986
- Hertford County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 252.358.7850
- Birth Records: 1911
- Marriage Records: 1868
- Death Records: 1911
- Land Records: 1862
- Hertford County Clerk of Court
- Phone: 282-358-7100
- Probate Records: 1868
- Court Records: 1830
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Hertford County Records
- Hertford Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Hertford Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Hertford Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Hertford County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hertford County, NC?
A list of Hertford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Hertford County Public library genealogy Room, P. O. Box 68, Winton NC 27986
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Hertford County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- North Carolina Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of North Carolina Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hertford County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hertford County
- Hertford County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Hertford County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hertford County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Hertford Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
- North Carolina Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- North Carolina historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 – 1977) (genealogybank.com)
- Hertford County, North Carolina Books (amazon.com)
- Hertford Co., NC GenWeb Archives Obituary Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Search North Carolina Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Hertford Co. NC Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Hertford Co., North Carolina Graves (findagrave.com)
- Hertford County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Hertford Co., NC GenWeb Archives Cemeteries & Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Hertford Co., North Carolina Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Hertford Co., North Carolina Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Hertford Co., NC GenWeb Archives Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Hertford Co., NC GenWeb Archives Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Hertford County, North Carolina Church Books (amazon.com)
Hertford Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Hertford Co., NC GenWeb Archives Biographies & Collections (usgwarchives.net)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Hertford Co. NC General and History Websites
- Hertford County, North Carolina Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A History of Hertford County, North Carolina (carolana.com)
- Hertford County, North Carolina Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Hertford Co. NC Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- North Carolina Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov)
- Hertford County, North Carolina (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – North Carolina – Counties – Hertford (cyndislist.com)
- Hertford County North Carolina (genealogytrails.com)
- Hertford Co. NCGenweb (ncgenweb.us)
- Hertford County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Hertford County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Hertford Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Hertford Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of North Carolina Links and Information
- Hertford Co. D.O.T. Maps
- Map of Hertford County, NC Municipalities and Townships
- 1895 Hertford County Map (livgenmi.com)
Hertford Co. NC Military Records
- North Carolina Military Records Research Guide
- Hertford Co., NC GenWeb Archives Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the North Carolina women and men who served. Perfect for Hertford County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Hertford Co. NC Schools & Directories
- North Carolina City Directories (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 (search.ancestry.com)