OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
North Carolina History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Columbus County, North Carolina History
When was Columbus County, NC Created?
Columbus County was created on December 15, 1808 from Brunswick County and Bladen County.
What is the County Seat of Columbus County, NC?
The County Seat is located in Whiteville also, the county government website is www.columbusco.org/.
What counties are adjacent to Columbus County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Bladen County, Pender County, Brunswick County, Horry County, South Carolina, Robeson County.
Columbus County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Columbus County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Columbus County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Columbus County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Columbus County clerk of court.
You can search online for Columbus County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
- Columbus Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records
- Columbus County, North Carolina Marriage Project
- Columbus Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records
- Social Security Death Index
- North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
- North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
- North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975
- North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
Columbus County, NC Census Records
What Columbus County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810 (incomplete), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Columbus Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Columbus Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Columbus Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Columbus County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Columbus County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Columbus County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Columbus County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Columbus County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 111 Washington Street, Whiteville, NC 28472
- Columbus County Register of Deeds
- Address: 125 Washington St Ste. B, Whiteville, NC 28472
- Phone: 910 640 6625
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1802
- Columbus County Clerk of Court
- Phone: (910) 641-4400
- Probate Records: 1808
- Court Records: 1817
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Columbus County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Columbus County Records
- Columbus Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Columbus Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Columbus Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Columbus County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Columbus County, NC?
A list of Columbus County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Southeastern North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 468, Chadbourn, NC 28431-0468
- Old New Hanover Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2536, Wilmington, NC 28402-2536
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Columbus County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- North Carolina Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of North Carolina Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Columbus County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Columbus County
- Columbus County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Columbus County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Columbus County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Columbus Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
- North Carolina Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- North Carolina historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 – 1977) (genealogybank.com)
- Columbus County, North Carolina Books (amazon.com)
- Columbus Co., NC GenWeb Archives Obituary Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Search North Carolina Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Columbus Co. NC Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Columbus Co., North Carolina Graves (findagrave.com)
- Columbus County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Columbus Co., NC GenWeb Archives Cemeteries & Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Columbus Co., North Carolina Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Columbus Co., North Carolina Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Columbus Co., NC GenWeb Archives Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Columbus Co., NC GenWeb Archives Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Columbus County, North Carolina Church Books (amazon.com)
Columbus Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Columbus Co., NC GenWeb Archives Biographies & Collections (usgwarchives.net)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Columbus Co. NC General and History Websites
- Columbus County, North Carolina Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A History of Columbus County, North Carolina (carolana.com)
- Columbus County, North Carolina Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Columbus Co. NC Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- North Carolina Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov)
- Columbus County, North Carolina (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – North Carolina – Counties – Columbus (cyndislist.com)
- Columbus County North Carolina (genealogytrails.com)
- Columbus Co. NCGenweb (ncgenweb.us)
- Columbus County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Columbus County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Columbus Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Columbus Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of North Carolina Links and Information
- Columbus Co. D.O.T. Maps [Map 1] – [Map 2] – [Map 3] – [Thumbnail of Sheet Key]
- Map of Columbus County, NC Municipalities and Townships
- 1895 Columbus County Map (livgenmi.com)
Columbus Co. NC Military Records
- North Carolina Military Records Research Guide
- Columbus Co., NC GenWeb Archives Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the North Carolina women and men who served. Perfect for Columbus County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Columbus Co. NC Schools & Directories
- North Carolina City Directories (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 (search.ancestry.com)