North Carolina History & Facts
Avery County, North Carolina History
Avery County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Avery County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Avery County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Avery County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
Avery County, NC Census Records
What Avery County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1920, 1930, 1940.
Avery County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Avery County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Avery County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Avery County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Avery County Register of Deeds
- Address: 200 Montezuma Street, Newland, NC 28657
- Phone: 828-733-8260
- Birth Records: 1914
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Death Records: 1914
- Land Records: 1911
- Avery County Clerk of Court
- Address: 200 Montezuma St, Newland, NC 28657
- Phone: (336) 246-5641
- Probate Records: 1911
- Court Records: 1911
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Avery County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Avery County Records
- Avery Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Avery Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Avery Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Avery County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Avery County, NC?
A list of Avery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Toe Valley Genealogical Society, 491 Beaver Creek Road, Spruce Pine, NC 28777
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Avery County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Avery County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Avery County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.