OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
North Carolina History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Alexander County, North Carolina History
When was Alexander County, NC Created?
Alexander County was created on January 15, 1847 from Idrell County, Wilkes County and Caldwell County.
What is the County Seat of Alexander County, NC?
The County Seat is located in Taylorsville also, the county government website is www.alexandercountync.gov/.
What counties are adjacent to Alexander County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Wilkes County, Iredell County, Catawba County and Caldwell County.
Alexander County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Alexander County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Alexander County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Alexander County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Alexander County clerk of court.
You can search online for Alexander County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties. See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
- Alexander Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records
- Alexander County, North Carolina Marriage Project
- Alexander Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records
- Social Security Death Index
- North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
- North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
- North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975
- North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
Alexander County, NC Census Records
What Alexander County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Alexander Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Alexander Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Alexander Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Alexander County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Alexander County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Alexander County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Alexander County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Alexander County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 621 Liledoun Road, Taylorsville, NC 28681
- Phone: (828) 632-2215
- Alexander County Register of Deeds
- Address: 75 1st Street SW, Suite 1, Taylorsville, NC 28681
- Phone: 828-632-3152
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Death Records: 1833
- Land Records: 1913
- Alexander County Clerk of Court
- Phone: 828-632-2215
- Probate Records: 1847
- Court Records: 1853
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Alexander County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Alexander County Records
- Alexander Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Alexander Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Alexander Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Alexander County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Alexander County, NC?
A list of Alexander County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Alexander County Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 545, Hiddenite, NC 28636
- Alexander County Ancestry Association, P.O. Box 241, Hiddenite, NC 28636-0241
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Alexander County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- North Carolina Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of North Carolina Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Alexander County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Alexander County
- Alexander County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Alexander County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Alexander County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Alexander Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
- North Carolina Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- North Carolina historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 – 1977) (genealogybank.com)
- Alexander County, North Carolina Books (amazon.com)
- Alexander Co., NC GenWeb Archives Obituary Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Search North Carolina Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Alexander Co. NC Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Alexander Co., North Carolina Graves (findagrave.com)
- Alexander County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Alexander Co., NC GenWeb Archives Cemeteries & Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Alexander Co., North Carolina Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Alexander Co., North Carolina Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Alexander Co., NC GenWeb Archives Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Alexander Co., NC GenWeb Archives Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Alexander County, North Carolina Church Books (amazon.com)
Alexander Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Alexander Co., NC GenWeb Archives Biographies & Collections (usgwarchives.net)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Alexander Co. NC General and History Websites
- Alexander County, North Carolina Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A History of Alexander County, North Carolina (carolana.com)
- Alexander County, North Carolina Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Alexander Co. NC Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- North Carolina Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov)
- Alexander County, North Carolina (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – North Carolina – Counties – Alexander (cyndislist.com)
- Alexander County North Carolina (genealogytrails.com)
- Alexander Co. NCGenweb (ncgenweb.us)
- Alexander County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Alexander County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Alexander Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Alexander Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of North Carolina Links and Information
- D.O.T. Maps [Map 1] – [Map 2]
- Map of Alexander County, NC Municipalities and Townships
- 1895 Alexander County Map (livgenmi.com)
Alexander Co. NC Military Records
- North Carolina Military Records Research Guide
- Alexander Co., NC GenWeb Archives Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the North Carolina women and men who served. Perfect for Alexander County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Alexander Co. NC Schools & Directories
- North Carolina City Directories (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 (search.ancestry.com)