Jefferson County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jefferson County, New York Facts
When was Jefferson County, NY Created?
Jefferson County was created on March 28, 1805 from Oneida County.
Jefferson County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Jefferson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jefferson County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jefferson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Jefferson County, NY Census Records
What Jefferson County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jefferson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Jefferson County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jefferson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Jefferson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 195 Arsenal St., Watertown, NY
- Jefferson County Clerk
- Address: 175 Arsenal Street, Watertown, New York 13601
- Phone: land Records: 315-785-3081; Court Records: 315-785-3200
- Land Records: 1805
- Court Records: 1805
- Jefferson County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 163 Arsenal Street, Watertown, NY 13601
- Phone: (315) 785-3019
- Probate Records: 1805
- Jefferson County Historian
- Address: 175 Arsenal Street, Watertown, NY 13601
- Phone: (315) 785-5149
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Jefferson County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jefferson County, NY?
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, P O Box 6453, Watertown, NY 13601
- Jefferson County Historical Society, 228 Washington Street, Watertown, New York 13601; Phone: 315-782-3491; Publication: Quarterly Newsletter Museum Musings; Collection includes artifacts, letters, photographs and more.
- Town of Watertown Historical Society, 22867 County Rt 67, Watertown 13601
- 4 Rivers Historical Society , PO Box 504, Carthage 13619
- Historical Association of South Jefferson, 29 East Church Street, Adams, New York 13601, Phone: 315-232-2616 or 315-298-5953
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Jefferson Community College, Mervil Dewey Library, 1220 Coffeen St., Watertown, New York 13601, Phone: 315-786-2413 or 315-786-2225; Collection includes histories of Jefferson, Lewis, St. Lawrence and other contiguous North County counties, local information, periodicals, Harold Sanderson Civil War Database and more.
- Roswell P. Flower Genealogy Library, 229 Washington St., Watertown, NY 13601, 315-785-7711, [email protected]
- Paddock Museum, 228 Washington Street, Watertown, New York 13601, Phone: 315-782-3491
- Directory of Archival and Historical Document Collections (nnyln.org)
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Jefferson County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Jefferson County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Jefferson County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.