Lyon County, Nevada
Lyon County was formed on November 25, 1861 as an original county in the Nevada Territory. The county was named in honor of General Nathaniel Lyon (1818–1861), who was killed in action at the Battle of Wilson’s Creek..
Cities and towns situated in Lyon County are made up of Dayton, Fernley, Mason, Mound House, Silver City, Silver Springs, Simpson, Smith Valley, Stagecoach, Weed Heights, Wellington, Yerington.
Lyon County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lyon Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Lyon Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Lyon Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to aid with your research.
Lyon County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Lyon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Nevada State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wellington Historical Society, P.O. Box 36, Wellington NV 89444
- Lyon County, Nevada Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Lyon County, Nevada Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Lyon County (usgwarchives.net)
Lyon County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget about the advantages of Lyon County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in Nevada courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Nevada residents.
The chances are very good that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Lyon County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
The following information and facts shows whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Lyon County. The dates suggested listed below are the first recognized records data in this county.
- Lyon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 31 S Main St, Yerington, NV 89447
- Phone: (775) 463-6501
- Lyon County Recorder is responsible for the recordation, scanning/microfilming, indexing and permanent storage of all Real Estate Transactions, Mining Claim Locations, Assessment work, Contracts, Leases, Judgments, Marriage Certificates, Fixture Filing Statements, Liens, Maps and all other Miscellaneous Documents.
- Birth / Death Records: 1887
- Land Records: 1862
- Lyon County Clerk is responsible for the issuance of all marriage licenses in the County.
- Marriage Records: 1861
- Lyon County Clerk of District Court has jurisdiction over all Regular, Civil, Criminal, Probate, and Family courts.
- Probate Records: 1867
- Court Records: 1867
- Nevada Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Nevada for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Lyon County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Lyon County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Lyon County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.