Carson City, Nevada Genealogy
Carson City was founded in 1858, consolidated with Ormsby County (established on November 25, 1861) in 1969. The county was named after the Carson River, named in turn for Christopher Houston (Kit) Carson (1809–1868), the frontier scout and soldier.
Carson City County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1860 (part of Utah Territory), 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Carson City Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Carson City Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Carson City Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to aid with your research.
Carson City Society and Family History Resources
A list of Carson City Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Nevada State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Carson City, Nevada Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Carson City
- Carson City, Nevada Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Carson City
- USGenWeb Archives for Carson City (usgwarchives.net)
Carson City Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget about the advantages of Carson City court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in Nevada courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and frustrations of many Nevada citizens. The chances are great that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Carson City court records. Even if your ancestor is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following information and facts shows whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Carson City. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Carson City Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 885 E Musser St, Carson City, NV 89701
- Phone: (775) 887-2082
- Carson City Recorder is responsible for the recordation, scanning/microfilming, indexing and permanent storage of all Real Estate Transactions, Mining Claim Locations, Assessment work, Contracts, Leases, Judgments, Marriage Certificates, Fixture Filing Statements, Liens, Maps and all other Miscellaneous Documents.
- Birth / Death Records: 1887
- Land Records: 1855
- Carson City Clerk is responsible for the issuance of all marriage licenses in the County.
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Carson City Clerk of District Court has jurisdiction over all Regular, Civil, Criminal, Probate, and Family courts.
- Probate Records: 1864
- Court Records: 1864
- Nevada Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Nevada for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Carson City Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Carson City. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.