Flathead County, Montana
Flathead County was created on February 06, 1893 from Missoula County.
Areas surrounding Flathead County are Regional District of East Kootenay, British Columbia, Glacier County, Pondera County, Teton County, Lewis and Clark County, Powell County, Missoula County, Lake County, Sanders County, Lincoln County.
Flathead County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Flathead County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Flathead County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Montana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Flathead Valley Genealogical Society, 30 Spring Creek Ct., Kalispell, MT 59901
- Stumptown Historical Society, 500 Depo St. # 101, Whitefish MT 59937
- Flathead County, Montana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Flathead County, Montana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Flathead County (usgwarchives.net)
Flathead County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently fail to notice the value of Flathead County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Montana courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of many Montana men and women.
The odds are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Flathead County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
- Flathead County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 800 S Main St, Kalispell, MT 59901
- Phone: (406) 758-5526
- Flathead County Clerk and Recorder
- Bierh / Death Records: 1896 / 1907
- Land Records: 1893
- Flathead County Clerk of District Court
- Marriage / Divorce Records: 1892
- Probate Records: 1893
- Court Records: 1893
- Montana Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Montana for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Flathead County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Flathead County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own favorite Flathead County genealogy or family history related sites.