Custer County, Montana
Custer County was created on February 02, 1865 from Montana Territory as a Original County (Originally called Big Horn County, name changed in 1877).
Custer Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1880. Custer Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1880. Custer Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Custer County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Custer County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Montana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Miles City Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 711, Miles City MT 59301
- Custer County, Montana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Custer County, Montana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Custer County (usgwarchives.net)
Custer County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently fail to notice the value of Custer County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Montana courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of many Montana men and women.
The odds are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Custer County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
- Custer County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1010 Main St, Miles City, MT 59301
- Phone: (719) 783-2274
- Custer County Clerk and Recorder
- Bierh / Death Records: 1895
- Land Records: 1877
- Custer County Clerk of District Court
- Marriage / Divorce Records: 1877
- Probate Records: 1877
- Court Records: 1877
- Montana Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Montana for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Custer County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Custer County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own favorite Custer County genealogy or family history related sites.