Cole County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Cole County, Missouri Facts
When was Cole County, MO Created?
Cole County was created on November 16, 1820 from Cooper County (effective January 1, 1821).
Cole County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Cole County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Cole County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Cole County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Cole County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Cole County, MO Census Records
What Cole County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Cole County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cole Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Cole Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cole Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cole Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Cole County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Cole County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Cole County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Cole County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Cole County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 311 E. High Street, Jefferson City, Missouri 65101
- Cole County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 573-634-9115
- Marriage Records: 1821
- Land Records: 1821
- Cole County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (573)-634-9177
- Probate Records: 1834
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821
- Cole County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: 573 634-9101
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-1906
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Cole County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Cole County, MO?
A list of Cole County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Cole County Historical Society, 109 Madison Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; Phone: (573) 635-1850
- Missouri Society for Military History, 2007 Retention Drive, Jefferson City, MO 65101-1203
- Supreme Court of Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 448, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri Mansion Preservation, P.O. Box 1133, 100 Madison Street, Jefferson City, MO 65102; Phone: (573) 751-4141
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri, P.O. Box 26 3801 Ponderosa , Columbia, MO 65205; Phone: (573) 443-8936
- Missouri Forest Heritage Center, P.O. Box 104748, Jefferson City, MO 65110; Phone: (573) 634-6002
- Mid-Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 715, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Cole County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cole County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cole County
- Cole County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Cole County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Cole County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.