Chariton County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chariton County, Missouri Facts
When was Chariton County, MO Created?
Chariton County was created on November 16, 1820 from Howard County (effective January 1, 1821).
What is the County Seat of Chariton County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Keytesville and in addition the county government website is unknown
Chariton County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Chariton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chariton County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chariton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Chariton County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Chariton County, MO Census Records
What Chariton County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chariton County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chariton Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Chariton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chariton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chariton Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Chariton County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Chariton County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Chariton County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Chariton County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Chariton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 306 S. Cherry, Keytesville, MO 65261
- Chariton County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 660-288-3602
- Marriage Records: 1821
- Land Records: 1826
- Chariton County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (660) 288-3602
- Probate Records: 1861
- Court & Divorce Records: 1820
- Chariton County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: (660) 288-3273
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-87
- Chariton County, Missouri Wills and Administrations, 1861-75
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Chariton County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chariton County, MO?
A list of Chariton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Chariton County Historical Society and Museum, 115 East Second Street, Salisbury, MO 65281; Phone: (660) 388-5941
- Friends of Keytesville, P.O. Box 40, 112 West Bridge Street, Keytesville, MO 65261; Phone: (816) 288-3425
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Chariton County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Chariton County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Chariton County
- Chariton County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Chariton County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Chariton County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.