Wayne County, Mississippi
History & Facts
Wayne County, Mississippi Facts
When was Wayne County, MS Created?
Wayne County was established on December 21, 1809 from Washington County (AL) .
Wayne County, MS Vital Records
Where can find Wayne County, MS Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wayne County vital records can be found at the Mississippi Department of Health which has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Mississippi for current fees and application process.
Wayne County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
You can search online for Wayne County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Wayne County, MS Census Records
What Wayne County, MS census records are available?
Wayne County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wayne Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Wayne Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Wayne County, MS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Wayne County Courthouse?
The below specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Wayne County.
- Wayne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 810 Chickasawhay St, Waynesboro, MS 39367
- Wayne County Chancery Court Clerk
- Phone: 601-636-4415
- Land Records: ?
- Probate Records: 1879
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Wayne County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: 601-735-1171
- Marriage Records: 1881
- Court Records: ?
- Mississippi Court Records Research Guide
- Mississippi Court Records, 1799-1835
- Mississippi County Court Records
- Mississippi, State Archives, Various Records, 1820-1951
- Spanish and British Land Grants in Mississippi Territory, 1750-1784
- Land Claims in Mississippi Territory, 1789-1834
- BLM Land Records
Wayne County, MS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wayne County, MS?
A list of Wayne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Wayne County Genealogy Organization, Patsy Brewer, 712 Wayne St., Waynesboro, MS 39367
- USGenWeb Archives for Wayne County (usgwarchives.net)
- Mississippi Department of Archives and History, North Street, Jackson, MS 39201; Ph. (601) 576-6850,200
- Mississippi Historical Society, PO Box 571, Jackson, MS 39205-0571
- Mississippi Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5301, Jackson, MS 39216
- Mississippi Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Wayne County, MS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Mississippi Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Mississippi State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wayne County, Mississippi Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wayne County
- Wayne County, Mississippi Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Wayne County, MS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Wayne County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.