Tunica County, Mississippi
History & Facts
Tunica County, Mississippi Facts
When was Tunica County, MS Created?
Tunica County was established on February 9, 1836 from Washington County and Unorganized Land.
What counties are adjacent to Tunica County, MS?
Bordering Counties are Crittenden County , Arkansas, DeSoto County, Tate County, Panola County, Quitman County, Coahoma County, Phillips County , Arkansas and Lee County , Arkansas.
Tunica County, MS Vital Records
Where can find Tunica County, MS Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Tunica County vital records can be found at the Mississippi Department of Health which has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Mississippi for current fees and application process.
Tunica County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
You can search online for Tunica County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Tunica County, MS Census Records
What Tunica County, MS census records are available?
Tunica County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Tunica Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Tunica Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tunica Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tunica Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Tunica County, MS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Tunica County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Tunica County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Mississippi courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Mississippi residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Tunica County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Mississippi Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Tunica County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1300 School St, Tunica, MS 38676
- Tunica County Chancery Court Clerk
- Phone: 662-363-2451
- Land Records: 1836
- Probate Records: 1839
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Tunica County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: 662-363-2842
- Marriage Records: 1858
- Court Records: 1839
- Mississippi Court Records Research Guide
- Mississippi Court Records, 1799-1835
- Mississippi County Court Records
- Inventory of the county archives of Mississippi: Tunica County (search.ancestry.com)
- Mississippi, State Archives, Various Records, 1820-1951
- Spanish and British Land Grants in Mississippi Territory, 1750-1784
- Land Claims in Mississippi Territory, 1789-1834
- BLM Land Records
Tunica County, MS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Tunica County, MS?
A list of Tunica County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Tate County Mississippi Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 974, Senatobia, MS 38668
- Desoto County, Genealogical Society Of, P.O. Box 607, Hernando, MS 38632; 662-429-1310
- USGenWeb Archives for Tunica County (usgwarchives.net)
- Mississippi Department of Archives and History, North Street, Jackson, MS 39201; Ph. (601) 576-6850,200
- Mississippi Historical Society, PO Box 571, Jackson, MS 39205-0571
- Mississippi Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5301, Jackson, MS 39216
- Mississippi Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Tunica County, MS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Mississippi Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Mississippi State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Tunica County, Mississippi Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Tunica County
- Tunica County, Mississippi Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Tunica County, MS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Tunica County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.