Smith County, Mississippi
History & Facts
Smith County, Mississippi Facts
Smith County, MS Vital Records
Where can find Smith County, MS Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Smith County vital records can be found at the Mississippi Department of Health which has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Mississippi for current fees and application process.
Smith County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
You can search online for Smith County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Smith County, MS Census Records
What Smith County, MS census records are available?
Smith County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Smith Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Smith Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Smith Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Smith Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Smith County, MS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Smith County Courthouse?
The below specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Smith County.
- Smith County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 212 Sylvarena Ave, Raleigh, MS 39153
- Smith County Chancery Court Clerk
- Phone: 601-782-8911
- Land Records: 1892
- Probate Records: 1893
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Smith County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: 601-782-4751
- Marriage Records: 1912
- Court Records: ?
- Mississippi Court Records Research Guide
- Mississippi Court Records, 1799-1835
- Mississippi County Court Records
- Mississippi, State Archives, Various Records, 1820-1951
- Spanish and British Land Grants in Mississippi Territory, 1750-1784
- Land Claims in Mississippi Territory, 1789-1834
- BLM Land Records
Smith County, MS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Smith County, MS?
A list of Smith County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Smith County Genealogical Society, P. o. Box 356, Raleigh, MS 39153
- USGenWeb Archives for Smith County (usgwarchives.net)
- Mississippi Department of Archives and History, North Street, Jackson, MS 39201; Ph. (601) 576-6850,200
- Mississippi Historical Society, PO Box 571, Jackson, MS 39205-0571
- Mississippi Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5301, Jackson, MS 39216
- Mississippi Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Smith County, MS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Mississippi Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Mississippi State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Smith County, Mississippi Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Smith County
- Smith County, Mississippi Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Smith County, MS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Smith County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.