Todd County, Minnesota
Genealogy, History & Facts
Todd County, Minnesota Facts
When was Todd County, MN Created?
Todd County was founded on February 20, 1855 from Cass County.
Todd County, MN Vital Records
Where can find Todd County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Todd County vital records can be found at the Minnesota Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth resords from 1900 and death records from 1908. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Minnesota for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Todd County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980
- Minnesota, County Birth Records, 1863-1983
- Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002
- Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950
- Minnesota, Divorce Index, 1970-1995
- Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002
- Minnesota, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990
Todd County, MN Census Records
What Todd County, MN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Todd County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Todd Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Todd Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Todd Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Todd Co. territorial and state censuses exist for the years 1849-1905.. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Minnesota Census Records Research Guide
Todd County, MN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Todd County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Todd County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Minnesota courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Minnesota residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Todd County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Minnesota Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Todd County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 221 First Avenue S., Long Prairie , MN 56347
- Phone: (320) 732-7800
- Todd County Recorder
- Birth / Death Records: 1869
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Land Records: 1867
- Todd County Court Administrator
- Probate Records: 1876
- Court Records: 1868
- Minnesota, Will Records, 1849-1985
- Minnesota Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Todd County, MN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Todd County, MN?
A list of Todd County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Minnesota Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Todd County Historical Museum, PO Box 146, 333 Central Ave, Long Prairie MN 56347-0146; Phone: 320 732-4426
- Bertha Historical Society, 63671 County Highway 40, Bertha MN 56437; Phone: 218 924-4490
- Eagle Bend Historical Society, c/o Carol W. Becker, 737 3rd Ave NW, Eagle Bend MN 56446-8116; Phone: 218 738-3852
- Central Minnesota Historical Center, Centennial Hall, Room 148, St. Cloud University, St. Cloud, MN 56301
- Minnesota State Archives, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 • 651-259-3260
- Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1185 Concord St. N. Suite 218, South St. Paul, MN 55075-1187
- Minnesota Historical Society, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 . 651-259-3000
Where can I connect with other Todd County, MN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Minnesota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Todd County, Minnesota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Todd County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Todd County, MN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Todd County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is simply a list which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.