Martin County, Minnesota
Genealogy, History & Facts
Martin County, Minnesota Facts
What counties are adjacent to Martin County, MN?
Bordering Counties are Watonwan County, Blue Earth County, Faribault County, Kossuth County, Iowa, Emmet County, Iowa, Jackson County, Cottonwood County.
Martin County, MN Vital Records
Where can find Martin County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Martin County vital records can be found at the Minnesota Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth resords from 1900 and death records from 1908. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Minnesota for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Martin County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980
- Minnesota, County Birth Records, 1863-1983
- Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002
- Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950
- Minnesota, Divorce Index, 1970-1995
- Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002
- Minnesota, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990
Martin County, MN Census Records
What Martin County, MN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Martin County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Martin Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Martin Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Martin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Martin Co. territorial and state censuses exist for the years 1849-1905.. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Minnesota Census Records Research Guide
Martin County, MN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Martin County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Martin County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Minnesota courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Minnesota residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Martin County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Minnesota Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Martin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 Lake Avenue, Fairmont , MN 56031
- Phone: (507) 238-3205
- Martin County Recorder
- Birth / Death Records: 1870
- Marriage Records: 1862
- Land Records: 1857
- Martin County Court Administrator
- Probate Records: 1864
- Court Records: 1861
- Minnesota, Will Records, 1849-1985
- Minnesota Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Martin County, MN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Martin County, MN?
A list of Martin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Minnesota Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Martin County Historical Society, 304 E Blue Earth Ave, Fairmont MN 56031-2865, Phone: 507 235-5178
- Martin County Genealogical Society, 222 E. Blue Earth Ave, Fairmont MN 56031, Phone: 507 235-3094
- Sherburn Area Historical Society, 333 Fox Lake Ave Apt 6, Sherburn MN 56171-9651; Phone: 507 764-2766
- Truman Historical Society, PO Box 353, Truman MN 56088-0353; Phone: 507 776-7889
- Southern Minnesota Historical Center, Mankato State University, Mankato, MN 56001
- Minnesota State Archives, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 • 651-259-3260
- Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1185 Concord St. N. Suite 218, South St. Paul, MN 55075-1187
- Minnesota Historical Society, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 . 651-259-3000
Where can I connect with other Martin County, MN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Minnesota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Martin County, Minnesota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Martin County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Martin County, MN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Martin County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is simply a list which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.