Emmet County, Iowa
Genealogy, History & Facts
Emmet County, Iowa Facts
When was Emmet County, IA Created?
Emmet County was established on January 15, 1851 (Organized in 1859) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Robert Emmet (1778–1803), Irish revolutionary and American republican sympathizer
What cities and towns are in Emmet County, IA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Armstrong, Dolliver, Estherville, Forsyth, Gridley, Gruver, Halfa, Hoprig, Huntington, Maple Hill, Raleigh, Ringsted, Wallingford.
Emmet County, IA Vital Records
Where can find Emmet County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Emmet County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage and death records from July 1880. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Emmet County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Iowa Marriage Project
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950
- Iowa, Births and Christenings Index, 1857-1947
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 – 1900
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
- Iowa Marriages to 1850
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900
- Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
Emmet County, IA Census Records
What Emmet County, IA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Emmet County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Emmet Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Emmet Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Emmet Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Emmet County, IA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Emmet County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Emmet County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Iowa Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Emmet County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 609 1st Ave N, Estherville, IA 51334
- Phone: (712) 362-3325
- Emmet County Recorder’s Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder’s Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder’s Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder’s Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1876
- Land Records: 1876
- Emmet County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1877
- Court Records: 1859
- BLM Land Records
Emmet County, IA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Emmet County, IA?
A list of Emmet County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Iowa Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Emmett County Genealogical Society, 613 Central Avenue, Estherville 51334-2294
- Emmet County Historical Society Museum, 1720 3 Ave S, Estherville, IA 51334; Phone (712) 362-2750
- Iowa State Archives & Records Program
- State Historical Society of Iowa, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Where can I connect with other Emmet County, IA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Iowa State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Emmet County, Iowa Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Emmet County, Iowa Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Emmet County, IA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Emmet County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.