Dakota County, Minnesota
Genealogy, History & Facts
Dakota County, Minnesota Facts
When was Dakota County, MN Created?
Dakota County was founded on October 27, 1849 from Unorganized Territory.
Dakota County, MN Vital Records
Where can find Dakota County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Dakota County vital records can be found at the Minnesota Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth resords from 1900 and death records from 1908. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Minnesota for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Dakota County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980
- Minnesota, County Birth Records, 1863-1983
- Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002
- Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950
- Minnesota, Divorce Index, 1970-1995
- Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002
- Minnesota, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990
Dakota County, MN Census Records
What Dakota County, MN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Dakota County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Dakota Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dakota Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dakota Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Dakota Co. territorial and state censuses exist for the years 1849-1905.. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Minnesota Census Records Research Guide
Dakota County, MN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Dakota County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Dakota County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Minnesota courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Minnesota residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Dakota County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Minnesota Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Dakota County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1560 W. Highway 55, Hastings , MN 55033
- Phone: (651) 438-8100
- Dakota County Recorder
- Birth / Death Records: 1870
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Land Records: 1852
- Dakota County Court Administrator
- Probate Records: 1863
- Court Records: 1853
- Minnesota, Will Records, 1849-1985
- Minnesota Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Dakota County, MN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Dakota County, MN?
A list of Dakota County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Minnesota Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Dakota County Historical Society, 130 3rd Ave N, South St Paul MN 55075-2002; Phone: 651 552-7548
- Dakota County Genealogical Society, 130 3rd Ave N, South St Paul MN 55075-2002
- Dakota City Heritage Village, Inc., Mail: PO Box 73, 4008 220th St W, Farmington MN 55024-0073; Phone: 651 460-8050
- Farmington Area Historical Society, 2890 Pilot Knob Rd, Eagan MN 55121-1146; Phone: 651 454-4056
- Lakeville Area Historical Society, 20195 Holyoke Ave. City Hall, Lakeville, MN 55044; (952) 469-0373
- Rosemount Area Historical Society, 15335 Danbury Ave W, Rosemount MN 55068-1596; Phone: 651 423-4603 evenings; Note: Monthly meetings are held at the Rosemount Community Center on the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7pm. No meeting in July or December.
- Minnesota State Archives, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 • 651-259-3260
- Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1185 Concord St. N. Suite 218, South St. Paul, MN 55075-1187
- Minnesota Historical Society, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 . 651-259-3000
Where can I connect with other Dakota County, MN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Minnesota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Dakota County, Minnesota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Dakota County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Dakota County, MN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Dakota County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is simply a list which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.