Keweenaw County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Keweenaw County, Michigan Facts
When was Keweenaw County, MI Created?
Keweenaw County was created on March 11, 1861 from Houghton County.
What counties are adjacent to Keweenaw County, MI?
Bordering Counties are Houghton County.
Keweenaw County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Keweenaw County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Keweenaw County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Keweenaw County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Keweenaw County, MI Census Records
What Keweenaw County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Keweenaw County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Keweenaw Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Keweenaw Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Keweenaw Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Keweenaw County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Keweenaw County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Keweenaw County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Michigan courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Michigan residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Keweenaw County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Keweenaw County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 5095 4th St., Eagle River, MI 49950
- Keweenaw County Clerk
- Phone: 906-337-2229
- Births & Deaths: 1869
- Marriage Records: 1869
- Keweenaw County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (906) 337-2229
- Land Records: 1861
- Keweenaw County Clerk of the Probate Court
- Phone: (906) 337-1927
- Probate Records: 1866
- Keweenaw County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Phone: (906) 337-2229
- Court Records: 1861
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Keweenaw County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Keweenaw County, MI?
A list of Keweenaw County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Keweenaw County Historical Society, 670 Lighthouse Road, Eagle Harbor MI 49950
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Keweenaw County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Michigan Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Keweenaw County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Keweenaw County
- Keweenaw County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Keweenaw County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Keweenaw County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.