Emmet County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Emmet County, Michigan Facts
When was Emmet County, MI Created?
Emmet County was created on April 1, 1840 from Mackinac County (originally named Tonedagana County until the name changed on March 8, 1843).
Emmet County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Emmet County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Emmet County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Emmet County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Emmet County, MI Census Records
What Emmet County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Emmet County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Emmet Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Emmet Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Emmet Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Emmet County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Emmet County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Emmet County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Michigan courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Michigan residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Emmet County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Emmet County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 Division Street, Petoskey, MI 49770
- Emmet County Clerk
- Phone: 231-348-1744
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Emmet County Register of Deeds
- Land Records: 1853
- Emmet County Clerk of the Probate Court
- Probate Records: 1867
- Emmet County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Court Records: 1867
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Emmet County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Emmet County, MI?
A list of Emmet County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Little Traverse Historical Society Museum, P.O. Box 162, Petoskey, MI 49770
- Emmet County Genealogical Society, 423 Beech St., Petoskey 49770
- Harbor Springs Area Historical Society, 432 E. Bay St., Harbor Springs, MI 49740; 1-616-526-9771
- Little Traverse Historical Society, 100 Depot Court, Petoskey, MI 49770; 231-347-2620
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Emmet County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Michigan Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Emmet County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Emmet County
- Emmet County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Emmet County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Emmet County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.