Middlesex County, Massachusetts
Genealogy, History & Facts
Middlesex County, Massachusetts Facts
When was Middlesex County, MA Created?
Middlesex County was founded on May 10, 1643 as one of four original counties created in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
What is the County Seat of Middlesex County, MA?
The County Seat is located in Cambridge & Lowell and the county government was abolished on July 11, 1997
What counties are adjacent to Middlesex County, MA?
Bordering Counties are Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, Essex County, Suffolk County, Norfolk County, Worcester County.
Middlesex County, MA Vital Records
Where can find Middlesex County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Middlesex County vital records can be found at the Massachusetts Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Massachusetts for current fees and application process. Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841. There is a fee for each copy requested. Records for events that occurred from 1841-1910 are available at the State Archives.
Middlesex County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available.
You can search online for Middlesex County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Massachusetts Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Tewksbury, Massachusetts Vital Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Watertown, Massachusetts, Various Town Records through 1737 (search.ancestry.com)
- Groton, Massachusetts Vital Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Arlington, Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Woburn records of births, deaths, and marriages (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Cambridge, Massachusetts, to the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of Littleton, Massachusetts ... births and deaths, from the earliest records in the town books begun in 1715 (search.ancestry.com)
- Town of Weston, births, deaths and marriages, 1707-1850 : 1703-gravestones-1900, church records, 1709-1825. (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Reading, Massachusetts, to the year 1850
- Vital records of Groton, Massachusetts, to the year 1849
- Vital records of Newton, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Concord, Massachusetts : births, marriages, and deaths, 1635-1850
- Vital records of Framingham, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Medford, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Hopkinton, Massachusetts Vital Records to the Year 1850
- Births, marriages and deaths in the town of Malden, Massachusetts, 1649-1850
- Vital records of Marlborough, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Holliston, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Wakefield, Massachusetts, to the year 1850
- Vital records of Acton, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Dracut, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Watertown, Massachusetts Records of Births, Deaths, and Marriages, 1693-1822
- Watertown, Massachusetts, East Precinct Records, 1697-1737 and Pastors' Records, 1686-1819
- Vital records of Lincoln, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Arlington, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Wayland, Massachusetts, to the year 1850
- Vital records of Bedford, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Vital records of Carlisle, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Burlington, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Watertown, Massachusetts Records of Births, Deaths, and Marriages, 1630-1693
- Vital records of Boxborough, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Massachusetts Marriage Project
- Early Vital Records of Massachusetts, From 1600 to 1850
- Massachusetts, State Vital Records, 1841-1920
- Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Towns Records, 1579-2001
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index Pre-1850
- Massachusetts Vital Record Transcripts, 1620-1849
- Massachusetts Vital Records, 1620-1915
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index 1841-1895
- Massachusetts, Births and Christenings, 1639-1915
- Massachusetts, Births, 1841-1915
- Boston Births, 1700-1800
- Massachusetts, Town Birth Records, 1620-1850
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1695-1910
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1633-1850
- Boston Marriages from 1752 to 1809
- Boston Marriages from 1700 to 1751
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. II
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. III
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. I
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. IV
- Massachusetts Marriages to 1800
- Massachusetts Town Marriage Records
- Massachusetts, Death Index, 1970-2003
- Massachusetts Death Index, 1970-2003
- Massachusetts, Deaths and Burials, 1795-1910
- Massachusetts, Deaths, 1841-1915
- Massachusetts, Town Death Records, 1620-1850
Middlesex County, MA Census Records
What Middlesex County, MA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Middlesex County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Middlesex Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Middlesex Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Middlesex Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890.
Massachusetts state censuses exist for the years 1855 and 1865. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Massachusetts Census Records Research Guide
Middlesex County, MA Courthouse and Government Records
Middlesex County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Middlesex County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Middlesex County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Massachusetts courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Massachusetts residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Middlesex County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Massachusetts Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Middlesex County Register of Deeds
- Middlesex County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 208 Cambridge Street, P.O. Box 410480, East Cambridge, MA 02141
- Phone: (617) 768-5808
- Probate Records: 1654
- Middlesex County Clerk of Courts
- Address: 40 Thorndike Street, Cambridge, MA 02141
- Phone: (617) 494-4010
- Court Records: 1643
- Inventory of city and town archives of Massachusetts, no. 10, Middlesex County.
- Inventory of city and town archives of Massachusetts, no. 10, Middlesex County.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts Town Records, 1630-1703
- Middlesex County, Massachusetts Probate Index, 1871-1909 (Part A-K)
- Middlesex County, Massachusetts Probate Index, 1648-1870
- Middlesex County, Massachusetts Deponents, 1649-1700
- Town of Weston : records of the First Precinct, 1746-1754, and of the town, 1754-1803.
- Concord, Massachusetts Town Officers, 1861
- Town of Weston : the tax lists, 1757-1827.
- Town of Weston : records of the town clerk, 1804-1826.
- The early records of Groton, Massachusetts : 1662-1707
- Watertown, Massachusetts Lands, Grants, and Possessions
- Abstracts of early Woburn deeds : recorded at Middlesex County Registry, 1649-1700
- An account of the early land-grants of Groton, Massachusetts
- First records of Marlborough, Massachusetts
- Colonial records of Marlborough, Mass.
- Early records of Watertown
- Petitions, remonstrances and acts relating to Littleton and Boxborough
- Massachusetts Name Changes, 1780-1892
- BLM Land Records
Middlesex County, MA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Middlesex County, MA?
A list of Middlesex County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Massachusetts Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Arlington Historical Society, 7 Jason Street, Arlington, MA 02476
- Billerica Historical Society, PO Box 381, 36 Concord Road, Billerica, MA 01821; (978) 667-7020
- Boxborough Historical Society, 629 Massachusetts Avenue, Boxborough, MA 01719
- Cambridge Historical Commission, 831 Massachusetts Ave., 2nd Fl., Cambridge, MA 02139; (617) 349-4683
- Cambridge Historical Society, Hooper-Lee-Nichols House, 159 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138; (617) 547-4252
- Chelmsford Historical Society, 40 Byam Road, Chelmsford, MA 01824; (978) 256-2311
- Framingham Historical Society, P.O. Box 2032, Framingham, MA 01703; (508) 872-3780
- Lexington Historical Society, PO Box 514, Lexington, MA 02420; (781) 862-1703
- Lincoln Historical Society, P.O. Box 6084, Lincoln Center, MA 01773
- Littleton Historical Society, 4 Rogers Street, PO Box 721, Littleton MA 01460; (978) 486-8202
- Louisa May Alcott Historical Assn, 399 Lexington Road, PO Box 343, Concord, MA 01742; (978) 369-4118
- Lowell Historical Society, P.O. Box 1826, 115 John Street, Lowell, MA 01853; (978) 970-5180
- Marlborough Historical Society, Peter Rice Homestead, 377 Elm Street, Marlborough, MA; (508) 485-4763
- Newton Historical Society, 286 Waverley Avenue Newton, MA 02458; (617) 641-9142
- Shirley Historical Society, 182 Center Road, PO Box 217, Shirley, MA 01464-0217; (978) 425-9328
- Somerville Historical Society, 1 Westwood Road, Somerville, MA 02143; Phone: (617) 666-9810
- Wakefield Historical Society, PO Box 1902, Wakefield, MA 01880
- Waltham Historical Society, 190 Moody Street, Waltham MA 02453; 781-891-5815
- Winchester Historical Society, PO Box 127, 15 High Street, Winchester MA 01890-0127
- Massachusetts Historical Society, 1154 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215
- State Archives Building, 220 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125
Where can I connect with other Middlesex County, MA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Middlesex County, MA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Middlesex County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a collection which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Middlesex Co. MA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Middlesex Co. MA Cemeteries & Church Records
Middlesex Co. MA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Middlesex Co. MA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Massachusetts
- Middlesex County, Massachusetts Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Middlesex County, Massachusetts: with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men, Volume 1 (Google eBook)
- History of Middlesex County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (search.ancestry.com)
- Townsend, Middlesex County, Massachusetts: Town History to 1878 (search.ancestry.com)
- Dunstable, Massachusetts: Town History 1873 (search.ancestry.com)
- Groton historical series : a collection of papers relating to the history of the town of Groton, Massachusetts (search.ancestry.com)
- Cambridge, Massachusetts History, Supplement (search.ancestry.com)
- Catalogue of the lots in Mount Auburn Cemetery : with names of the proprietors and representatives of deceased proprietors, the (search.ancestry.com)
- The Concord guide book (search.ancestry.com)
- Selected list of books, pamphlets, etc., relating to Cambridge (search.ancestry.com)
- Village, Section or Neighborhood Names of Massachusetts Communities (sec.state.ma.us)
- Middlesex County, Massachusetts Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Middlesex Co. MA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Middlesex County, Massachusetts (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Massachusetts - Counties - Middlesex (cyndislist.com)
- Middlesex County Massachusetts (genealogytrails.com)
- Middlesex Co. MAGenweb (magenweb.org)
- Middlesex County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Middlesex Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Middlesex Co. MA Immigration & Naturalization
Middlesex Co. MA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Middlesex Co. MA Military Records
- Massachusetts Military Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Beside old hearth-stones (search.ancestry.com)
- Watertown, Massachusetts' Military History (search.ancestry.com)
- Watertown's military history (search.ancestry.com)
- Proceedings at the centennial celebration of the Battle of Lexington : April 19, 1875. (search.ancestry.com)
- Souvenir programme of events, one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Concord fight : April nineteen, 1775-1925. (search.ancestry.com)
- Sketch of the Warren Cadets, Woburn (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Military Records (fold3.com) will provide access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Massachusetts women and men which served. Perfect for Middlesex County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
Middlesex Co. MA Schools & Directories
- Massachusetts City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Massachusetts. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts Directories, 1887-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- Lowell, Massachusetts Directories, 1889-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- Somerville, Massachusetts Directories, 1889-90, 1892 (search.ancestry.com)
- Newton, Massachusetts Directory 1929 (search.ancestry.com)
- Malden, Massachusetts Directory 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Marlborough, Massachusetts Directory, 1887-88 (search.ancestry.com)
- Medford, Massachusetts Directory 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Everett, Massachusetts Directory 1889 (search.ancestry.com)
- Arlington, Massachusetts Directory, 1896-97 (search.ancestry.com)
- Melrose, Massachusetts Directory, 1885 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pepperell and Groton, Massachusetts Directory 1895-96 (search.ancestry.com)
- Hudson, Massachusetts Directory 1887-88 (search.ancestry.com)
- Lexington, Massachusetts Directory 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Concord, Massachusetts Directory, 1892 (search.ancestry.com)
- Hopkinton, Massachusetts Directory 1886 (search.ancestry.com)
- Belmont, Massachusetts Directory, 1896-97 (search.ancestry.com)
- Ashland, Massachusetts Directory 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Bedford, Massachusetts Directory 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- The Cambridge directory and almanac for 1856 (search.ancestry.com)
- Acton directory (search.ancestry.com)