Hampden County, Massachusetts
Genealogy, History & Facts
Hampden County, Massachusetts Facts
When was Hampden County, MA Created?
Hampden County was founded on February 25, 1812 from Hampshire County.
What is the County Seat of Hampden County, MA?
The County Seat is located in Springfield and the county government was abolished on July 1, 1998
What counties are adjacent to Hampden County, MA?
Bordering Counties are Hampshire County, Worcester County, Tolland County, Connecticut, Hartford County, Connecticut, Litchfield County, Connecticut, Berkshire County.
Hampden County, MA Vital Records
Where can find Hampden County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hampden County vital records can be found at the Massachusetts Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Massachusetts for current fees and application process. Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841. There is a fee for each copy requested. Records for events that occurred from 1841-1910 are available at the State Archives.
Hampden County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available.
You can search online for Hampden County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Massachusetts Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Massachusetts, Springfield Vital Records, 1638-1887
- Vital records of West Springfield, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Brimfield, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Vital records of Chester, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850.
- Vital records of Granville, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Baptisms, marriages, and deaths, 1736-1809, First Church [of Christ], Springfield, Mass.
- Vital records of Montgomery, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Massachusetts Marriage Project
- Early Vital Records of Massachusetts, From 1600 to 1850
- Massachusetts, State Vital Records, 1841-1920
- Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Towns Records, 1579-2001
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index Pre-1850
- Massachusetts Vital Record Transcripts, 1620-1849
- Massachusetts Vital Records, 1620-1915
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index 1841-1895
- Massachusetts, Births and Christenings, 1639-1915
- Massachusetts, Births, 1841-1915
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1695-1910
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915
- Massachusetts, Death Index, 1970-2003
- Massachusetts, Deaths and Burials, 1795-1910
- Massachusetts, Deaths, 1841-1915
Hampden County, MA Census Records
What Hampden County, MA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Hampden County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hampden Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hampden Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hampden Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890.
Massachusetts state censuses exist for the years 1855 and 1865. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Massachusetts Census Records Research Guide
Hampden County, MA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Hampden County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Hampden County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Massachusetts courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Massachusetts residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Hampden County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Massachusetts Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Hampden County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 50 State Street, Springfield, MA 01102
- Hampden County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (413) 755 – 1722
- Land Records: 1636
- Hampden County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (413) 748-6058
- Probate Records: 1812
- Hampden County Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (413) 748-7631
- Court Records: 1812
- Inventory of town and city archives of Massachusetts, no. 7. Hampden County.
- Indian deeds of Hampden County : being copies of all land transfers from the Indians recorded in the county of Hampden, Massach
- Massachusetts Name Changes, 1780-1892
- BLM Land Records
Hampden County, MA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hampden County, MA?
A list of Hampden County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Massachusetts Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Chester Historical Society, Town Hall, 15 Middlefield Street, Chester, MA 01011
- Longmeadow Historical Society, 697 Longmeadow Street, Longmeadow, MA 01106; (413) 567-3600
- Western Massachusetts Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 418, West Springfield, MA 01090
- Westfield Historic Commission, 59 Court Street. Westfield, MA 01085; (413) 572-6200
- Massachusetts Historical Society, 1154 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215
- State Archives Building, 220 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125
Where can I connect with other Hampden County, MA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Massachusetts Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Massachusetts State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hampden County, Massachusetts Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Hampden County, Massachusetts Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Hampden County, MA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hampden County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a collection which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.