Talbot County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Talbot County, Maryland Facts
When was Talbot County, MD Created?
Talbot County was created on February 19, 1661 from unorganized territory .
Talbot County, MD Vital Records
Where can find Talbot County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Talbot County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
- The marriage licenses of Talbot County, Maryland, from 1796-1810
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Maryland Marriage Project
- Maryland, Births and Christenings, 1650-1995
- Maryland, Marriages, 1666-1970
- Maryland, Deaths and Burials, 1877-1992
Talbot County, MD Census Records
What Talbot County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Talbot County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Talbot Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Talbot Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Talbot Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Talbot County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Talbot County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Talbot County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Talbot County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Talbot County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 11 N. Washington Street, Easton, MD 21601
- Talbot County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: 410-822-2611
- Marriage Records: 1662
- Land Records: 1662
- Talbot County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (410) 770-6700 or (888) 822-0039
- Probate Records: 1668
- County Records on Digital Media
- County Records on Microfilm
- Original County Records
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Talbot County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Talbot County, MD?
A list of Talbot County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Historical Society of Talbot County, 25 South Washington St., Easton, MD 21601 – 3014, (410) 822-0773
- Oxford Historical Society, 100 N Morris St, Oxford 21654-1307
- Upper Shore Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 275, Easton 21601
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other Talbot County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Talbot County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Talbot County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Talbot County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Talbot County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.