Assumption Parish, Louisiana
Genealogy & Facts
Assumption Parish, Louisiana Facts
When was Assumption Parish, LA Created?
Assumption Parish was established on March 31, 1807 from Lafourche County, Louisana Territory, as one of the original 19 parishes. The parish was named for the Assumption Roman Catholic Church, the oldest in the state .
What counties are adjacent to Assumption Parish, LA?
Bordering Parishes are Iberville Parish (north, Ascension Parish, St. James Parish, Lafourche Parish, Terrebonne Parish, St. Mary Parish, Iberia Parish, St. Martin Parish.
What cities and towns are in Assumption Parish, LA?
Cities and towns located in the Parish include Napoleonville.
Assumption Parish, LA Vital Records
Where can find Assumption Parish Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Assumption Parish vital records can be found at the Louisiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records since July 1914. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Louisiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Assumption Parish Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Louisiana Birth or Death Certificate Application to mail.
The Louisiana State Archives has Birth Records that occurred in Louisiana more than 100 years from the end of the current calendar year. It also has Death Records that occurred in Louisiana more than 50 years from the end of the current calendar year.
- Orena V. Grant genealogical collection (marriages records)
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Louisiana Marriage Project
- Louisiana, Births and Christenings, 1811-1830; 1854-1934
- Louisiana, Marriages, 1816-1906
- Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957
- Louisiana Marriages, 1718-1925
- Louisiana Marriage Records, 1851-1900
- Louisiana Marriages to 1850
- Marriage contracts of French colonial Louisiana
- New Orleans, Louisiana, Marriage Records Index, 1831-1920
- Louisiana Death Records Index
- Louisiana, Deaths Index, 1850-1875, 1894-1956
- Louisiana, Statewide Death Index, 1900-1949
- Southwest Louisiana, Deaths Index, 1840-1906
Assumption Parish, LA Census Records
What Assumption Parish, LA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Assumption Parish guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Assumption Parish Slave Schedules can be found for 1850 & 1860. Assumption Parish Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Assumption Parish Industry and Agriculture can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Assumption Parish Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Louisiana Census Records Research Guide
Assumption Parish, LA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Assumption Parish Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Assumption Parish. The years listed below are the first noted records with this parish. See Also Louisiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Assumption Parish Clerk of Court performs the functions of more than one office. As the Recorder, the office of the Clerk of Court receives, files, records and indexes all mortgages, conveyances and all other instruments recorded in the Public Records for the Parish. The Clerk’s Office receives and files all pleadings, such as petitions, answers, motions and other filings in Civil and Probate matters, as well as indictments, bills of information and other filings in Criminal matters. Another function of the Clerk’s Office is the issuance of Marriage Licenses and recording their returns after the marriages are performed.
- Address: 4809 Hwy. 1, Napoleonville, LA 70390
- Phone: (985) 369-6653
- Marriage Records: 1800
- Land Records: 1788
- Probate Records: 1788
- Court Records: 1788
- USGenWeb Archives for Assumption Parish
- BLM Land Records
Assumption Parish, LA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Assumption Parish, LA?
A list of Assumption Parish Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Louisiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Terrebonne Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 20295, Houma, LA 70360-0295 – Our quarterly publication is “Terrebonne Life Lines”, each issue has a full name index, total of 300 pages of research information published per year. We cover the old Lafourche Interior area – Assumption, Lafourche and Terrebonne Parishes
- Inventory of the parish archives of Louisiana: Assumption Parish (search.ancestry.com)
- Louisiana State Archives, 3851 Essen Lane, P.O. Box 94125
- Louisiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 82060, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70884
- Louisiana Historical Society, 5801 St. Charles Ave, New Orleans, Louisiana 70115
Where can I connect with other Assumption Parish, LA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Louisiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Assumption Parish, Louisiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Assumption Parish, Louisiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Assumption Parish, LA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Assumption Parish. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.