Marshall County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Marshall County, Kentucky Facts
When was Marshall County, KY Created?
Marshall County was created on June 1, 1842 from Calloway County.
Marshall County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Marshall County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Marshall County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Marshall County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Marshall County, KY Census Records
What Marshall County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Marshall County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marshall Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Marshall Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Marshall County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Marshall County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Marshall County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Marshall County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Marshalld County Clerk
- Address: 1101 Main Street, Benton, KY, 42025
- Phone: (270) 527-4740
- Marriage Records: 1848
- Land Records: 1848
- Probate Records: 1848
- Marshall County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Marshall County Judicial Building, 80 Judicial Drive, Unit 101, Benton, KY 42025
- Phone: (270) 527-1721
- Court Records: 1848
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Marshall County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Marshall County USGenWeb Archives Project
Marshall County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Marshall County, KY?
A list of Marshall County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Marshall County Archives – Genealogical and Historical Society, P.O. Box 373, 1100 Main Street, Benton, KY 42025-1450; (270) 527-4749
Where can I connect with other Marshall County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marshall County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marshall County
- Marshall County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYMARSHA. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Marshall County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase. A mailing list for those whose family roots and research trace to the Jackson Purchase area of Western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase-LORE. A mailing list anyone with a genealogical interest in 19th and early-20th century familiy stories and lore in the Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. This list is dedicated more to preserving the historical background of families in the Jackson Purchase area than to “names and dates” genealogy, which can be posted to the KYJacksonPurchase list discussed above. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Marshall County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Marshall County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.