Adair County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Adair County, Kentucky Facts
When was Adair County, KY Created?
Adair County was created on December 11, 1801 from Green County.
Adair County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Adair County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Adair County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Adair County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Adair County, KY Census Records
What Adair County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adair County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Adair Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Adair Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adair Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adair Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Adair County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Adair County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Adair County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Adair County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Adair County Clerk
- Address: 424 Public Square, Suite 3, Columbia, KY, 42728-1493
- Phone: (270) 384-2801
- Marriage Records: 1802
- Land Records: 1801
- Probate Records: 1804
- Adair County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Adair County Judicial Center, 201 Campbellsville St., Suite 101, Columbia, KY 42728
- Phone: (270) 384-2626
- Court Records: 1802
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Adair County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
Adair County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Adair County, KY?
A list of Adair County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Adair County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 613, Columbia, KY 42728; Adair County Genealogical Society meets the first Monday night of each month at 7p.m. central time at the Public Library.
- Adair County Public Library, 307 Greensburg Street, Columbia, KY 42728
Where can I connect with other Adair County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Adair County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Adair County
- Adair County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KY-ACGS. A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding the activities of the Adair County (Kentucky) Genealogical Society (ACGS) and genealogical resources available in the Adair County area. Additional information can be found on the ACGS Web Site. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- KYADAIR. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Adair County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Adair County KYGenWeb page. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- Adair County USGenWeb Archives Project
What other genealogical resources are available in Adair County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Adair County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Adair County genealogy or family history related sites.