Miami County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Miami County, Kansas Facts
When was Lykins County, KS Created?
Lykins County was established on August 25, 1855 as one of the original 36 counties. The County was named for David Lykins, a Baptist missionary to the Confederated Tribes, whose mission was located just east of the modern city of Paola.
The county was renamed Miami County on June 03, 1861 and named for the Miami Native Americans, who lived in the area.
What cities and towns are in Miami County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Paola, Osawatomie, Spring Hill, Louisburg and Fontana.
Miami County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Miami County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Miami County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Miami County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Miami County, KS Census Records
What Miami County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Miami County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Miami Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Miami Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Miami Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You’ll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Miami County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Miami County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Miami County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Miami County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 201 S. Pearl Street, Paola, KS 66071-1756; Phone: (913) 294-3976.
- Miami County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1885-1911, Marriage Records from 1857 and Death Records from 1885-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Miami County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1857. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Miami County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1857 and Court Records from 1858. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Miami County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer’s office.
- BLM Land Records
Miami County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Miami County, KS?
A list of Miami County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Miami County Swan River Museum, 12 E Peoria St. Paola, KS 66071; PHONE: 913-294-4940
- Miami County Historical Society, 12 E. Peoria, P O Box 123, Paola, KS 66071 Phone: 913-294-4940
- Miami County Genealogical Society, North Side of Square, Box 393, Paola, KS 66071
- Search for Miami Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other Miami County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kansas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Miami County, Kansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Miami County, Kansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Miami County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Miami County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.