Kiowa County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Kiowa County, Kansas Facts
When was Kiowa County, KS Created?
Kiowa County was established on February 26, 1867 from Peketon Territory and Edwards County. The County was abolished in 1875 and reorganized on March 25, 1886 from Edwards County amd Comanche County. The county was named for the Kiowa Native Americans, who inhabited the area.
What cities and towns are in Kiowa County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Greensburg, Haviland, Mullinville.
Kiowa County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Kiowa County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Kiowa County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Kiowa County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Kiowa County, KS Census Records
What Kiowa County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Kiowa County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Kiowa Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Kiowa Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Kiowa Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You’ll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Kiowa County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Kiowa County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Kiowa County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Kiowa County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 211 East Florida, Greensburg, KS 67054-2211; Phone: (620) 723-3366.
- Kiowa County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1886, Marriage Records from 1886 and Death Records from 1886. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Kiowa County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1886. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Kiowa County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1886 and Court Records from 1886. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- BLM Land Records
Kiowa County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Kiowa County, KS?
A list of Kiowa County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Search for Kiowa Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other Kiowa County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kansas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kiowa County, Kansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Kiowa County, Kansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Kiowa County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Kiowa County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.