Edwards County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Edwards County, Kansas Facts
When was Edwards County, KS Created?
Edwards County was established on March 18, 1874 from Kiowa County. The county was named in honor of John H. Edwards, state senator who pushed for creation of the county or W. C. Edwards, a Reno Co. businessman who owned much land in the area and built the first brick building in Kinsley; he agreed to build that building and give it to the new county on condition the county bear his name.
What is the County Seat of Edwards County, KS?
The County Seat is located in ? and the county government website is ?
What cities and towns are in Edwards County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Belpre, Fellsburg, Kinsley, Lewis, Offerle.
Edwards County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Edwards County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Edwards County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Edwards County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Edwards County, KS Census Records
What Edwards County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Edwards County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You’ll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Edwards County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Edwards County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Edwards County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Edwards County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 312 Massachusetts Avenue, Kinsley, KS 67547-1090; Phone: (620) 659-3000.
- Edwards County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1902-11, Marriage Records from 1875 and Death Records from 1902-11. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Edwards County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1874. Phone 620-659-3131 The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Edwards County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1874 and Court Records from 1874. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- BLM Land Records
Edwards County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Edwards County, KS?
A list of Edwards County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Edwards County Historical Society, Highway 56, PO Box 64, Kinsley, KS 67547
- Search for Edwards Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other Edwards County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kansas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Edwards County, Kansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Edwards County, Kansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Edwards County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Edwards County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.