OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Jackson County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Jackson County, Kansas Facts
When was Calhoun County, KS Created?
Calhoun County was established on August 25, 1855 (organized on September 24, 1855) as one of the original 36 counties. County was renamed to Jackson County on February 11, 1859. The county was named in honor of Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), soldier (victor at the Battle of New Orleans in 1815) and seventh president of the United States..
What is the County Seat of Jackson County, KS?
The County Seat is located in Holton and the county government website is http://ks-jackson.manatron.com
What counties are adjacent to Jackson County, KS?
Bordering Counties are Brown County, Atchison County, Jefferson County, Shawnee County, Pottawatomie County, Nemaha County.
What cities and towns are in Jackson County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Holton, Hoyt, Mayetta, Denison, Whiting, Delia, Circleville, Netawaka, Soldier.
Jackson County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Jackson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jackson County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Jackson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Jackson County, KS Census Records
What Jackson County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jackson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jackson Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You’ll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Jackson County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jackson County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jackson County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research. Early marriages of Calhoun County, Kansas Territory, are in Holton, Jackson County, Kansas.
- Jackson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 400 New York, Holton, KS 66436-1787; Phone: (785) 364-2826.
- Jackson County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1892; 1902-11, Marriage Records from 1855 and Death Records from 1892; 1902-11 (Incomplete. Extant for 1892 and 1902-1911 only. Records for 1892 at KSHS.). The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Jackson County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1858. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Jackson County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1857 and Court Records from 1861. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- BLM Land Records
Jackson County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jackson County, KS?
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jackson County Historical Society, 216 New York, Holton KS 66436; phone: 785-364-4991
- Search for Jackson Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other Jackson County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kansas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Jackson County, Kansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Jackson County, Kansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Jackson County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jackson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Jackson Co. KS Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Kansas Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Kansas historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981) (genealogybank.com)
- Jackson County, Kansas Books (amazon.com)
- Search Kansas Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Jackson County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Jackson Co. KS Cemeteries & Church Records
- Kansas Cemetery Research Guide
- Jackson Co., Kansas Graves (findagrave.com)
- Jackson County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Jackson Co., Kansas Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Jackson County, Kansas
- Jackson Co., Kansas Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Kansas Church & Bible Research Guide
- Topographic Church List and Map for Jackson County, Kansas
- Jackson County, Kansas Church Books (amazon.com)
Jackson Co. KS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Kansas Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
Jackson Co. KS General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Kansas
- Jackson County, Kansas Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Jackson, Jefferson, and Pottawatomie Counties, Kansas Biographical Dictionary (search.ancestry.com)
- Jackson County, Kansas Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Jackson Co. KS Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Jackson County, Kansas (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Kansas – Counties – Jackson (cyndislist.com)
- Jackson County Kansas (genealogytrails.com)
- Jackson County – Kansas Historical Society Biography (kshs.org)
- Jackson Co. KSGenweb (skyways.lib.ks.us)
- Jackson County, Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history (skyways.lib.ks.us)
- Jackson County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Jackson Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Jackson Co. KS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Kansas Links and Information
- Jackson County D.O.T. MAP (ksdot.org)
- 1895 Jackson County Map (livgenmi.com)
Jackson Co. KS Military Records
- Kansas Military Records Research Guide
- 1883 List of Pensioners on the Roll (skyways.lib.ks.us) Veterans or widows of veterans living in Jackson Co. KS who have applied for a Pension
- Kansas Military Records (fold3.com) gives you access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Kansas both males and females that served. Perfect for Jackson County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.