OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Brown County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Brown County, Kansas Facts
Brown County (name was spelled Browne in the original statute, but the county seal omitted the ‘e’, as have all subsequent statutes) was established on August 25, 1855 as one of the original 36 counties. The county was named in honor of Albert Gallatin Brown, (1813-1880), United States senator from Mississippi at the time of the Kansas-Nebraska Act OR it was named for O. H. Browne, a member of that legislature.
What is the County Seat of Brown County, KS?
The County Seat is located in Hiawatha and the county government website is http://ks-brown.manatron.com/
What counties are adjacent to Brown County, KS?
Bordering Counties are Richardson County, Nebraska, Doniphan County, Atchison County, Jackson County, Nemaha County.
What cities and towns are in Brown County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Everest, Fairview, Hiawatha, Horton, Leona, Morrill, Powhattan, Reserve, Robinson, Willis
Brown County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Brown County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Brown County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Brown County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Brown County, KS Census Records
What Brown County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Brown County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Brown Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Brown Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Brown Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You’ll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Brown County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Brown County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Brown County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research. Incomplete. No records extant for 1891—1906. †Records for 1907—11 at KSHS
- Brown County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 601 Oregon Street, Hiawatha, KS 66434-2241; Phone: (785) 742-2581.
- Brown County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1885-90; 1907-11, Marriage Records from 1857 and Death Records from 1885-90; 1907-11. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Brown County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1857. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Brown County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1857 and Court Records from 1859. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- BLM Land Records
Brown County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Brown County, KS?
A list of Brown County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Brown County Genealogical Society, 116 South 7th Street, Hiawatha, Kansas 66434-2307
- Brown County Historical Society, 611 Utah St, Hiawatha, KS 66434; Phone:(785) 742-3330
- Search for Brown Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other Brown County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kansas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Brown County, Kansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Brown County, Kansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Brown County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Brown County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Brown Co. KS Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Kansas Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Kansas historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Kansas (1841–1981) (genealogybank.com)
- Brown County, Kansas Books (amazon.com)
- Search Kansas Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Brown County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Brown Co. KS Cemeteries & Church Records
- Kansas Cemetery Research Guide
- Brown Co., Kansas Graves (findagrave.com)
- Brown County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Brown Co., Kansas Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Brown County, Kansas
- Brown Co., Kansas Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Kansas Church & Bible Research Guide
- Topographic Church List and Map for Brown County, Kansas
- Brown County, Kansas Church Books (amazon.com)
Brown Co. KS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Kansas Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
Brown Co. KS General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Kansas
- Brown County, Kansas Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Annals of Brown County, Kansas : from the earliest records to January 1, 1900 (search.ancestry.com)
- A. N. Ruley’s history of Brown County (search.ancestry.com)
- History and statistics of Brown County, Kansas : from its earliest settlement to the present time, embracing incidents and hard (search.ancestry.com)
- Brown County, Kansas Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Brown Co. KS Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Brown County, Kansas (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Kansas – Counties – Brown (cyndislist.com)
- Brown County Kansas (genealogytrails.com)
- Brown County – Kansas Historical Society Biography (kshs.org)
- Brown Co. KSGenweb (skyways.lib.ks.us)
- Brown County, Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history (skyways.lib.ks.us)
- Brown County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Brown Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Brown Co. KS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Kansas Links and Information
- Brown County D.O.T. MAP (ksdot.org)
- 1895 Brown County Map (livgenmi.com)
Brown Co. KS Military Records
- Kansas Military Records Research Guide
- 1883 List of Pensioners on the Roll (skyways.lib.ks.us) Veterans or widows of veterans living in Brown Co. KS who have applied for a Pension
- Kansas Military Records (fold3.com) gives you access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Kansas both males and females that served. Perfect for Brown County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.