Fremont County, Iowa
Genealogy, History & Facts
Fremont County, Iowa Facts
When was Fremont County, IA Created?
Fremont County was established on February 24, 1847 (Organized in September 10, 1849) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of John Charles Frémont, the U. S. general, explorer, and presidential candidate
What cities and towns are in Fremont County, IA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Farragut, Hamburg, Imogene, Randolph, Riverton, Shenandoah (part), Sidney, Tabor, Thurman.
Fremont County, IA Vital Records
Where can find Fremont County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Fremont County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage and death records from July 1880. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Fremont County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Iowa Marriage Project
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950
- Iowa, Births and Christenings Index, 1857-1947
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 – 1900
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
- Iowa Marriages to 1850
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900
- Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
Fremont County, IA Census Records
What Fremont County, IA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Fremont County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Fremont Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fremont Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fremont Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Fremont County, IA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Fremont County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Fremont County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Iowa Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Fremont County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: ?701 Cass St, Sidney, IA 51652
- Phone:(712) 374-2031
- Fremont County Recorder’s Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder’s Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder’s Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder’s Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1848
- Land Records: 1849
- Fremont County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1880
- Court Records: 1850
- BLM Land Records
Fremont County, IA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Fremont County, IA?
A list of Fremont County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Iowa Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Fremont County Historical Society, P.O. Box 671, Sidney IA 51652-0337
- Iowa State Archives & Records Program
- State Historical Society of Iowa, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Where can I connect with other Fremont County, IA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Iowa State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Fremont County, Iowa Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Fremont County, Iowa Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Fremont County, IA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Fremont County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.