Custer County, Idaho
Custer County was established on January 8, 1881 from Alturas and Lemhi County.
Currently the Custer County Seat can be found in Challis plus the county government website is http://www.co.custer.id.us/
Areas bordering Custer County are Lemhi County, Butte County, Blaine County, Elmore County, Boise County, Valley County.
Custer County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Custer Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Custer County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Custer County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Custer County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the great importance of Custer County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Hidden away in Idaho courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and worries of the many Idaho citizens. The chances are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Custer County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
- Custer County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 801 Main St, Challis, ID 83226
- Phone: (208) 879-2360
- Custer County Clerk, Auditor, Recorders Office
- Marriage Records: 1879
- Land Records: 1872
- Probate Records: 1879
- Court Records: 1879
- Idaho Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Idaho for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Custer County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources associated to Custer County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most liked Custer County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Custer Co. ID Books, Newspapers & Publications
Custer Co. ID Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Custer Co. ID Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Custer Co. ID Census Records
Custer Co. ID Cemeteries & Church Records
Custer Co. ID Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Custer Co. ID General and History Websites
Custer Co. ID Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Custer Co. ID Military Records
Custer Co. ID Schools & Directories
- Idaho City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Idaho. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.