Henry County, Georgia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Henry County, Georgia Facts
When was Henry County, GA Created?
Henry County was established on May 15, 1821 from Creek Cession of 1821 (portions of Henry County were used to create the following counties: Newton (1821), DeKalb (1822), Butts (1825), Spalding (1851), Clayton (1858), and Rockdale (1870)).
Henry County, GA Vital Records
Where can find Henry County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Henry County vital records can be found at the Georgia Department of Health which has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Henry County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Henry Co. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Henry County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Georgia Marriage Project
- Georgia, Births and Christenings, 1754-1960
- Marriage Records from Microfilm
- Georgia Marriages, 1699-1944
- Georgia Marriages to 1850
- Georgia Marriages, 1851-1900
- Georgia, Marriages, 1808-1967
- Georgia Death Certificates, 1919-1927
- Georgia Non-Indexed Death Certificates, 1928-1930
- Georgia Deaths, 1914-1927
- Georgia Deaths, 1928-1930
- Georgia, Death Index, 1933-1998
- Georgia Deaths, 1919-98
- Georgia, Deaths Index, 1914-1927
Henry County, GA Census Records
What Henry County, GA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Henry County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Henry County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Henry County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
Henry County, GA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Henry County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Henry County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Georgia courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Georgia residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Henry County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Georgia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Henry County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Courthouse Square, McDonough, GA 30253
- Phone: (770) 954-2400
- A Look at the History of Henry Co. Courthouse in Georgia
- Henry County Clerk of Superior Court
- Phone: (770) 288-8022
- Land Records: 1822
- Court Records: 1822
- Henry County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 99 Sims Street, McDonough, GA 30253
- Phone: (770) 288-7600
- Marriage Records: 1822
- Probate Records: 1822
- Georgia, Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992
- County Tax Digests
- County Records Microfilm Index
- Inventory of the county archives of Georgia
- BLM Land Records
Henry County, GA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Henry County, GA?
A list of Henry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies.
- Genealogical Society of Henry and Clayton Counties, Inc., P. O. Box 1296, McDonough, GA 30253-1296; Tel 770-954-1456
- Georgia State Archives – 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260; 678.364.3700
- Georgia Historical Society, 501 Whitaker Street, Savannah, GA 31401
- Georgia Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 54574, Atlanta, Georgia 30308-0575
Where can I connect with other Henry County, GA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Georgia Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henry County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henry County
- Henry County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Henry County, GA?
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Henry County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.