Suwannee County, Florida
Genealogy, History & Facts
Suwannee County, Florida Facts
When was Suwannee County, FL Created?
Suwannee County was created on December 21, 1858 from Columbia County. This county was named for the Suwannee River, a 266-mile long river in northern Florida.
What cities and towns are in Suwannee County, FL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Live Oak, Branford.
Suwannee County, FL Vital Records
Where can find Suwannee County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Suwannee County vital records can be found at the Florida Office of Vital Records which has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Suwannee County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Florida Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Suwannee County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Florida Marriage Project
- Florida Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- Florida Divorce Index, 1927-2001
- Florida Marriages, 1822-1850
- Florida Marriages, 1830-1993
- Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
- Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
- Florida Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- Florida Deaths, 1877-1939
Suwannee County, FL Census Records
What Suwannee County, FL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Suwannee County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Suwannee Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Suwannee Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Suwannee Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1860.
There are Florida State censuses from 1867, 1875, 1885, 1935, 1945. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Florida Census Records Research Guide
Suwannee County, FL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Suwannee County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Suwannee County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Florida Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Suwannee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 South Ohio Ave./Dr. MLK, Jr. Ave., Live Oak, FL 32064
- Suwannee County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (386) 362-0526
- Marriage Records: 1859
- Land Records: 1859
- Probate Records: 1860
- Court Records: 1859
- Suwannee County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Suwannee County, FL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Suwannee County, FL?
A list of Suwannee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Florida Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Suwannee Valley Genealogical Society, C/o Historical Museum, P. O. Box 967 , 208 N. Ohio Ave., Live Oak, FL 32060
- Florida Dept of State Div of Library & Bureau of Archives & Records Management, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
- Florida State Genealogical Society, PO Box 10249, Tallahassee, FL 32302-2249
- Florida Historical Society 1320 Highland Ave, Melbourne, FL 32935
Where can I connect with other Suwannee County, FL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Florida Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Suwannee County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Suwannee County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Suwannee County, FL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Suwannee County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.