Madison County, Florida
Genealogy, History & Facts
Madison County, Florida Facts
What counties are adjacent to Madisons County, FL?
Bordering Counties are Brooks County, Georgia, Lowndes County, Georgia, Hamilton County, Suwannee County, Lafayette County, Taylor County, Jefferson County.
What cities and towns are in Madison County, FL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Greenville, Lee, Madison.
Madison County, FL Vital Records
Where can find Madison County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Madison County vital records can be found at the Florida Office of Vital Records which has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Madison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Florida Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Madison County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Florida Marriage Project
- Florida Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- Florida Divorce Index, 1927-2001
- Florida Marriages, 1822-1850
- Florida Marriages, 1830-1993
- Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
- Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
- Florida Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- Florida Deaths, 1877-1939
Madison County, FL Census Records
What Madison County, FL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Madison County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830 (as Florida Territory), 1840 (as Florida Territory), 1850, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Madison Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860.
There are Florida State censuses from 1867, 1875, 1885, 1935, 1945. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Florida Census Records Research Guide
Madison County, FL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Madison County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Madison County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Florida Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Madison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 237, Madison, FL 32341-0237 or 125 SW Range Avenue, Madison, FL 32340
- Madison County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (850) 973-1500 or (850) 973-8000
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Land Records: 1831
- Probate Records: 1846
- Court Records: 1838
- Madison County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Madison County, FL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Madison County, FL?
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Florida Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Madison County Genealogical Society, PO Box 136, Madison, FL 32341-0136
- Florida Dept of State Div of Library & Bureau of Archives & Records Management, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
- Florida State Genealogical Society, PO Box 10249, Tallahassee, FL 32302-2249
- Florida Historical Society 1320 Highland Ave, Melbourne, FL 32935
Where can I connect with other Madison County, FL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Florida Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Madison County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Madison County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Madison County, FL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Madison County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.