Chicot County, Arkansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chicot County, Arkansas Facts
When was Chicot County, AR Created?
Chicot County was established on October 25, 1823 by the Territorial Legislature and was formed from Arkansas County.
What is the County Seat of Chicot County, AR?
The County Seat is located in Lake Village (Columbia was the first county seat until 1855 when Masona was chosen. In 1857, the county seat was moved to Lake Village) and in addition the county government website is www.arcounties.org/
What counties are adjacent to Chicot County, AR?
Bordering Counties are Desha County, Washington County, Mississippi, Issaquena County, Mississippi, East Carroll Parish, Louisiana, West Carroll Parish, Louisiana, Ashley County, Drew County.
Chicot County, AR Vital Records
Where can find Chicot County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chicot County vital records can be found at the Arkansas Deptartment of Health has Birth & Death records since February 1, 1914, Marriage Records since January 1917 and Divorce Records since January 1923. You may go to the Chicot County health department to obtain a Birth or Death certificates which can be issued while you wait. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Arkansas for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chicot County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Chicot Co. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Divorce Certificates, Death Certificates to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Arkansas Marriage Project
- Arkansas Births and Christenings, 1880-1893
- Arkansas Marriages, 1837-1944
- Arkansas Divorce Index, 1923-1939
- Arkansas, County Marriages Index, 1837-1957
- Arkansas Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages to 1850
- Arkansas Marriages, 1779-1992
- Arkansas, Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages, 1820-1949
- Arkansas Marriages, 1851-1900
- Arkansas Death Index, 1914-1950
Chicot County, AR Census Records
What Chicot County, AR census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chicot County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Chicot Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Chicot Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chicot Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chicot Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You’ll find free online and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Arkansas Census Records Research Guide
Chicot County, AR Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Chicot County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Chicot County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Arkansas courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Arkansas residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Chicot County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Arkansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
All County Offices Records are located in the Courthouse at 108 Main Street, Lake Village 71653; 870-265-8015, unless otherwise noted.
- Chicot County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: (870) 265-8010
- Court Records: 1824
- Land Records: 1823
- Chicot County Clerk
- Phone: (870) 265-8000
- Marriage Records: 1840
- Probate Records: 1839
- BLM Land Records
Chicot County, AR Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chicot County, AR?
A list of Chicot County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Arkansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Chicot County, Arkansas Historical & Genealogical Society
- Arkansas History Commission, One Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201; 501.682.6900
- Arkansas Genealogical Society, 1411 Shady Grove Road, P.O. Box 908, Hot Springs, AR 71902-0908
- Arkansas Historical Association, 416 Old Main, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701; 479-575-5884
Where can I connect with other Chicot County, AR Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Arkansas Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Arkansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Chicot County, Arkansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Chicot County
- Chicot County, Arkansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Chicot County, AR?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Chicot County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is merely a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.