Mobile County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
Mobile County, Alabama Facts
When was Mobile County, AL Created?
Mobile County was created on Dec. 18, 1812 from Mobile District of West Florida after annexation into Mississippi Territory.
What is the County Seat of Mobile County, AL?
The County Seat is located in Mobile and in addition the county government website is http://www.mobilecountyal.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Mobile County, AL?
Bordering Counties are Washington County, Baldwin County, Jackson County, Mississippi, George County, Mississippi, Greene County, Mississippi.
Mobile County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Mobile County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Mobile County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Mobile County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Mobile County Health Department has Birth Records from 1820 , Death records from N/A.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Mobile County, AL Census Records
What Mobile County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Mobile County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mobile Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Mobile Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mobile Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mobile Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Mobile County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
Mobile County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Mobile County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Mobile County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Mobile County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Mobile County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P.O. Box 7, Mobile, AL 36601
- Phone: (334) 690-8502
- Court Records: 1814
- Divorce Records:
- Mobile County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 251 N Bayou, P O Box 2867, Mobile, AL 36652, Phone
- Phone: (334) 690-8150
- Marriage Records: 1814 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1814
- Land Records: 1812
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- Mobile County USGenWeb Archives Project
- BLM Land Records
Mobile County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Mobile County, AL?
A list of Mobile County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Mobile County Probate Archives, P.O. Box 7, Mobile, AL 36601; 251-574-4941
- Mobile Municipal Archives, 457 Church St., P.O. Box 1827, Mobile, AL 36633; 251-208-7740
- Mobile Genealogical Society, Inc, 1400 Joyce Road, Mobile (on the grounds of Holy Family Catholic Church), Mailing address: Box 6224, Mobile, AL 36660-6224; (251) 414-1995;
Publications: Deep South Genealogical Quarterly, MGS Newsletter
- Historic Mobile Preservation Society, 300 Oakleigh Place, Mobile, AL 36604; 251-432-6161
- Mobile Public Library, 334-208-7078
- AL-GRAND_BAY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Grand Bay, Mobile County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- AL-GULF-COAST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Alabama gulf coast counties of Mobile, Baldwin, Washington, and Butler. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- AL-MOBILE-BAYOU-LA-BATRE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Bayou La Batre, Mobile County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- ALMOBILE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Mobile County, Alabama. Interested individuals may want to check out the Mobile County ALGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- AL-MOBILEBAY. A mailing list, sponsored by the Mobile Genealogical Society, for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Mobile Bay, Alabama, area -- specifically Mobile and Baldwin Counties in Alabama plus the bordering counties in Mississippi (George, Greene, Jackson), Alabama (Clarke, Escambia, Monroe, Washington), and Florida (Escambia). Topics for the list include genealogical queries and discussions of resources having to do with the above counties and various time periods in the area's history such as the Louisiana Purchase (Mobile was the first capital of Louisiana), Spanish West Florida, the Confederate period, the Mississippi Territory, etc. In addition, "press releases" from genealogical societies and libraries in the aforementioned counties are welcome. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- AL-MOBILE-DAUPHIN-ISLAND. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Dauphin Island, Mobile County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- AL-MOBILE-OBITS. A mailing list for the posting of obituaries from Mobile County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- AL-MOBILE-WHEELERVILLE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the town of Wheelerville, Mobile County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- MGS-MEMBERS. A mailing list for the members of the Mobile Genealogical Society. All MGS members with an email address are automatically subscribed to the list. You can check the benefits of membership in MGS by pointing your web browser to http://www.siteone.com/clubs/mgs/membrshp.htm. There you can also print out a membership application to send in via regular mail. If you do not have Internet access, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "MGS info, please" (without the quotes) as the subject and request additional information.
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Mobile County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Mobile County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Mobile County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Mobile Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mobile Co. AL Cemeteries & Church Records
Mobile Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mobile Co. AL General and History Websites
Mobile Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mobile Co. AL Military Records