Northumberland County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Northumberland County, Virginia Facts
When was Northumberland County, VA Created?
Northumberland County was established on 1648 from the Chickacoan District.
What is the County Seat of Northumberland County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Heathsville also, the county government website is www.co.northumberland.va.us .
What counties are adjacent to Northumberland County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Lancaster County, Richmond County, Westmoreland County .
Northumberland County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Northumberland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Northumberland County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Northumberland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Northumberland Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Northumberland County Health Department, 6373 Northumberland Hwy - Suite B, P.O. Box 69, Heathsville, VA 22473; 804-580-3731
- Married Well and Often: Marriages of the Northern Neck of Virginia, 1649-1800
- Northumberland Co. record of births, 1661-1810
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Northumberland County, VA Census Records
What Northumberland County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Northumberland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Northumberland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Northumberland Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Northumberland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Northumberland County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Northumberland County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Northumberland County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Northumberland County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Northumberland County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P. O. Box 217, 39 Judicial Place, Heathsville, VA 22473-0217
- Phone: (804) 580-3700
- Marriage Records: 1735
- Land Records: 1650
- Court Records: 1652
- Probate Records: 1650
- Northumberland County records, 1652-1655
- Northumbria collectanea, 1645-1720
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Northumberland County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Northumberland County, VA?
A list of Northumberland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Northumberland County Historical Society, P.O. Box 221, Heathsville, VA 22473, (804) 580-8581
- Genealogical Society of the Northern Neck, P.O. Box 511, Heathsville, VA 22473-0221
- Genealogical Society of the Northern Neck, Post Office Box 716, Montross, Virginia 22520; (804) 493-1862
- Mary Ball Washington Museum & Library, 8346 Mary Ball Road, Lancaster, Virginia 22503, (804) 462-7280; We are non-profit organization with an extensive historical and genealogical library with microfilms of all court records available at the Library of Virginia. In addition, we have all known published abstracts of land, court orders and deeds, in addition to the microfilm. We also boast a sizeable military records collection for the Northern Neck. Our focus is on Lancaster, Northumberland, Richmond, Westmoreland, Middlesex and Essex Counties, though we have a large body of material on almost every county in Virginia. Our web site has a a catalogue of over 3,100 items that is searchable by topic, author or title.
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Northumberland County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Northumberland Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Northumberland County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Northumberland County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Northumberland County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Northumberland Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Northumberland Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Northumberland Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Northumberland Co. VA General and History Websites
Northumberland Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Northumberland Co. VA Military Records