Northumberland County, Virginia
Genealogy and Facts
Northumberland County, Virginia genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Northumberland Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Northumberland County was founded on 1648 from the Chickacoan District (Although not authorized until 1648, Northumberland was in use by about 1645) . This county was named for Northumberland, United Kingdom.
The Northumberland County Seat is located in Heathsville also, the county government website is www.co.northumberland.va.us .
Areas bordering to Northumberland County are Lancaster County (south), Richmond County (southwest), Westmoreland County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Northumberland County include Kilmarnock, Burgess, Callao, Fairport, Fleeton, Heathsville, Lake, Lottsburg, Reedville, Wicomico Church .
Northumberland County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Northumberland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Northumberland Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Northumberland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Northumberland County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Northumberland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Northumberland County Historical Society, P.O. Box 221, Heathsville, VA 22473, (804) 580-8581
- Genealogical Society of the Northern Neck, P.O. Box 511, Heathsville, VA 22473-0221
- Genealogical Society of the Northern Neck, Post Office Box 716, Montross, Virginia 22520; (804) 493-1862
- Mary Ball Washington Museum & Library, 8346 Mary Ball Road, Lancaster, Virginia 22503, (804) 462-7280; We are non-profit organization with an extensive historical and genealogical library with microfilms of all court records available at the Library of Virginia. In addition, we have all known published abstracts of land, court orders and deeds, in addition to the microfilm. We also boast a sizeable military records collection for the Northern Neck. Our focus is on Lancaster, Northumberland, Richmond, Westmoreland, Middlesex and Essex Counties, though we have a large body of material on almost every county in Virginia. Our web site has a a catalogue of over 3,100 items that is searchable by topic, author or title.
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Northumberland County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Northumberland County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Northumberland County
- Northumberland County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Northumberland County
- Northumberland County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Northumberland Co. Virginia
Northumberland County Courthouse and Government Records
Northumberland County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Northumberland County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Northumberland County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Northumberland county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Suffered some loss in a fire in the clerk's office on 25 October 1710. Birth and Death Records from 1650-1810 located in the St. Stephens Parish.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
- Northumberland County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 217, 39 Judicial Place, Heathsville, VA 22473-0217
- Phone: (804) 580-3700
- Marriage Records: 1735
- Land Records: 1650
- Court Records: 1652
- Probate Records: 1650
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Northumberland County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Northumberland County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Northumberland County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Northumberland Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Northumberland Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Northumberland Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Virginia Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Northumberland County records, 1652-1655 : containing abstracts from Court order book no. 2, 20th Sept. 1652-20th Oct. 1655, Re (search.ancestry.com)
- Northumbria collectanea, 1645-1720 (search.ancestry.com)
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X (search.ancestry.com) The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Northumberland Co. VA Census Records
Northumberland Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Northumberland Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Northumberland Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Northumberland Co. VA General and History Websites
Northumberland Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Northumberland Co. VA Military Records