Henrico County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Henrico County, Virginia Facts
When was Henrico County, VA Created?
Henrico County was established on 1634 as one of the eight original shires . This county was named for Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales, oldest son of James I of England.
What is the County Seat of Henrico County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Richmond also, the county government website is www.co.henrico.va.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Henrico County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Chesterfield County (south), Goochland County (west), Hanover County (north), New Kent County (northeast), Charles City County (southeast).
What cities and towns are in Henrico County, VA?
Cities and towns located in Henrico County include Chamberlayne, Dumbarton, East Highland Park, Glen Allen, Highland Springs, Lakeside, Laurel, Montrose, Sandston, Short Pump, Tuckahoe, Varina and Wyndham .
Henrico County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Henrico County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Henrico County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Henrico County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Henrico Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Henrico County Health Department
- Marriage Bonds of Henrico County, Virginia, 1782-1853
- Births from the Bristol Parish Register of Henrico, Prince George, and Dinwiddie Counties, Virginia, 1720-1798
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Henrico County, VA Census Records
What Henrico County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Henrico County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Henrico Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henrico Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henrico Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Henrico County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Henrico County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Henrico County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Henrico County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
In 1752 Henrico Courthouse, a colonial-style brick structure, was built in Richmond in the middle of 22nd and East Main streets. The Declaration Independence was read publicly for the first time from its steps on August 5, 1776.
Old Henrico County Virginia Courthouse
In 1824, the courthouse was in need of repair and a committee decided to completely rebuild the structure. It opened in November of 1825 and stood in the middle of 22nd Street like its predecessor. It was described as a building 70 by 46 feet, one story high, with a gallery around the courtroom. It was made of brick and was fronted by a Doric portico with four columns. In 1848, the courthouse was dismantled and rebuilt on the corner of 22nd and East Main streets opening the road to traffic. This structure was damaged during the Civil War in the evacuation fire of April 1865. It was replaced in 1896 by a new courthouse designed to house all of the county’s offices. Annexation by the City of Richmond expanded beyond the boundaries of the courthouse which make it necessary to declare the courthouse parcel part of Henrico in order to maintain its county jurisdiction.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Henrico County Court records prior to 1655 and almost all prior to 1677 are missing; additionally, many isolated records were destroyed during the Revolutionary War, and almost all Henrico County Circuit Court records were destroyed by fire in Richmond on 3 April 1865.
- Henrico County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 90775, 4301 East Parham Road, Henrico, VA 23273-0775
- Phone: (804) 501-4202
- Marriage Records: 1781
- Land Records: 1650
- Court Records:1650
- Probate Records:1650
- Early Virginia Families Along the James River: Their Deep Roots and Tangled Branches. Vol. I
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Henrico County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Henrico County, VA?
A list of Henrico County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Henrico County Historical Society, 1590 E. Parham Rd., Richmond, VA 23229, (804) 501-5682
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- East Henrico Health Department, Glen Echo Building, 3810 Nine Mile Road, Richmond, VA 23223, (804) 652-3190, Fax: (804) 652-3188
- West Henrico Health Dept, P.O. Box 27032, 8600 Dixon Powers Drive, Richmond, VA 23273, (804) 501-4522
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023; Telephone (804) 285-8954; Please note that because of our close proximity to the Library of Virginia and the Virginia Historical Society, the Virginia Genealogical Society does not maintain a research facility or surname material.
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901; Mail: P.O.Box 7311, 23221-0311; Tuesday-Saturday 10-5 and Sunday 1-5 (galleries only)
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Henrico County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Henrico Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Henrico County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Henrico County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Henrico County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Henrico Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Henrico Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Sandston, Virginia, Seven Pines National Cemetery, 1866-2009 (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Harrison, Virginia, Fort Harrison National Cemetery, 1866-2008 (search.ancestry.com)
- Henrico Co., Virginia Graves (findagrave.com)
- Henrico County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Henrico Co., Virginia Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Henrico Co., Virginia Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Annals of Henrico Parish, Diocese of Virginia, 1611-1884 (search.ancestry.com)
- Henrico County, Virginia Church Books (amazon.com)
Henrico Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Henrico Co. VA General and History Websites
Henrico Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Henrico Co. VA Military Records