Chesterfield County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chesterfield County, Virginia Facts
When was Chesterfield County, VA Created?
Chesterfield County was established on May 1, 1749 from Henrico County . This county was named for Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, British politician and Lord of the Bedchamber.
What is the County Seat of Chesterfield County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Chesterfield also, the county government website is www.chesterfield.gov/ .
What counties are adjacent to Chesterfield County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Henrico County (northeast), Charles City County (east), Prince George County (southeast), Dinwiddie County (south), Amelia County (southwest), Powhatan County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Chesterfield County, VA?
Cities and towns located in Chesterfield County include Bellwood, Bensley, Bermuda Hundred, Bon Air, Centralia, Chester, Chesterfield Court House, Enon, Ettrick, Matoaca, Meadowbrook, Midlothian, Mosley and Winterpock.
Chesterfield County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Chesterfield County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chesterfield County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chesterfield County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Chesterfield Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Chesterfield Health Department, 9501 Lucy Corr Circle, P.O. Box 100, Chesterfield, VA 23832; (804) 748-1691
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1887-91
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1892-96
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1860-72
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1872-77
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1875-78
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1883-86
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Deaths, 1882-88
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Deaths, 1889-96
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Virginia Marriages to 1800
- Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia Marriages, 1851-1929
- Virginia Vital Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Chesterfield County, VA Census Records
What Chesterfield County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chesterfield County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chesterfield Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chesterfield Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chesterfield Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Chesterfield County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Chesterfield County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Chesterfield County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Chesterfield County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Lost one marriage register and some loose court papers during the Civil War.
Old Chesterfield County Virginia Courthouse
- Chesterfield County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 125, 9500 Courthouse Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832-0125
- Phone: (804) 748-1241
- Marriage Records: 1770
- Land Records: 1749
- Court Records: 1740
- Probate Records: 1746
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Inventory of the county archives of Virginia: Chesterfield County.
- Court records of Chesterfield County, Virginia
- BLM Land Records
Chesterfield County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chesterfield County, VA?
A list of Chesterfield County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Chesterfield County Historical Society of Virginia, P.O. Box 40,10201 Ironbridge Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832 804-796-7121
- Chesterfield County Public Library, 9501 Lori Road , P. O. Box 297, Chesterfield, VA 23832, Phone 804-748-1601
- Bon Air Library, 9103 Rattlesnake Road, Richmond, VA 23235, Phone 804-320-2461
- Chester Library, 11800 Centre Street, Chester, VA 23831, Phone 804-748-6314
- Clover Hill Library, 6701 Deer Run Drive, Midlothian, VA 23112, Phone 804-739-7335
- Enon Library, 1801 Enon Church Road, Chester, VA 23836, Phone 804-530-3403
- Ettrick-Matoaca Library, 4501 River Road, Petersburg, VA 23803, Phone 804-526-8087
- La Prade Library, 9000 Hull Street Road, Richmond, VA 23236, Phone 804-276-7755
- Law Library, 9500 Courthouse Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832, Phone 804-751-4986
- Meadowdale Library, 4301 Meadowdale Boulevard, Richmond, VA 23234, Phone 804-743-4842
- Midlothian Library, 521 Coalfield Road, Midlothian, VA 23113, Phone 804-794-7907
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Chesterfield County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Chesterfield Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Chesterfield County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Chesterfield County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Chesterfield County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Chesterfield Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Chesterfield Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Chesterfield Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Chesterfield Co. VA General and History Websites
Chesterfield Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Chesterfield Co. VA Military Records