Chesterfield County, Virginia
Chesterfield County was founded on May 1, 1749 from Henrico County . This county was named for Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, British politician and Lord of the Bedchamber.
The Chesterfield County Seat is located in Chesterfield also, the county government website is www.chesterfield.gov/ .
Areas bordering to Chesterfield County are Henrico County (northeast), Charles City County (east), Prince George County (southeast), Dinwiddie County (south), Amelia County (southwest), Powhatan County (northwest).
Cities and towns located in Chesterfield County include Bellwood, Bensley, Bermuda Hundred, Bon Air, Centralia, Chester, Chesterfield Court House, Enon, Ettrick, Matoaca, Meadowbrook, Midlothian, Mosley and Winterpock.
Chesterfield County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chesterfield County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Chesterfield Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Chesterfield County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chesterfield Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chesterfield Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chesterfield Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Chesterfield County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Chesterfield County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Chesterfield County Historical Society of Virginia, P.O. Box 40,10201 Ironbridge Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832 804-796-7121
- Chesterfield County Public Library, 9501 Lori Road , P. O. Box 297, Chesterfield, VA 23832, Phone 804-748-1601
- Bon Air Library, 9103 Rattlesnake Road, Richmond, VA 23235, Phone 804-320-2461
- Chester Library, 11800 Centre Street, Chester, VA 23831, Phone 804-748-6314
- Clover Hill Library, 6701 Deer Run Drive, Midlothian, VA 23112, Phone 804-739-7335
- Enon Library, 1801 Enon Church Road, Chester, VA 23836, Phone 804-530-3403
- Ettrick-Matoaca Library, 4501 River Road, Petersburg, VA 23803, Phone 804-526-8087
- La Prade Library, 9000 Hull Street Road, Richmond, VA 23236, Phone 804-276-7755
- Law Library, 9500 Courthouse Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832, Phone 804-751-4986
- Meadowdale Library, 4301 Meadowdale Boulevard, Richmond, VA 23234, Phone 804-743-4842
- Midlothian Library, 521 Coalfield Road, Midlothian, VA 23113, Phone 804-794-7907
- Virginia Genealogy Network (plus.google.com)
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Chesterfield County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Chesterfield County
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Chesterfield County
- Chesterfield County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Chesterfield Co. Virginia
Chesterfield County Courthouse and Government Records
Chesterfield County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Chesterfield County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Chesterfield County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Chesterfield county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Lost one marriage register and some loose court papers during the Civil War.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
- Chesterfield County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 125, 9500 Courthouse Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832-0125
- Phone: (804) 748-1241
- Marriage Records: 1770
- Land Records: 1749
- Court Records: 1740
- Probate Records: 1746
- Chesterfield County Treasurer
- Commissioner of the Revenue
- Chesterfield Health Department, 9501 Lucy Corr Circle, P.O. Box 100, Chesterfield, VA 23832; (804) 748-1691
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Chesterfield County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Chesterfield County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Chesterfield County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Chesterfield Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Chesterfield Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Virginia
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1887-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1892-96 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1860-72 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1872-77 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1875-78 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Births, 1883-86 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Deaths, 1882-88 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Deaths, 1889-96 (search.ancestry.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Chesterfield Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Virginia Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Inventory of the county archives of Virginia: Chesterfield County. (search.ancestry.com)
- Court records of Chesterfield County, Virginia (search.ancestry.com)
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X (search.ancestry.com) The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Chesterfield Co. VA Census Records
Chesterfield Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Chesterfield Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Chesterfield Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Chesterfield Co. VA General and History Websites
Chesterfield Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Chesterfield Co. VA Military Records